making CO2

yea but i want to do something thats creative i mean, alka seltzer and water isn't that creative but i didn't want to do something everyone else is doing.

we just did this in chem... lets see: 2 parts hydrochloric acid to 1 part sodium carbonate... will make water, carbon dioxide, and salt. (but don't drink it when you're done, unless you've counted out the moles precisely (i'd like to see that done anyways)

Doesnt aluminum and "The works" liquid plumber do it? Or is that another gas used in the bottle bomb?
Do it in class, say, "For my experiment, I just put some aluminum in here, and some of this liquid. First I mix these two" Screw cork on, place on table, "than I just need to go and grab some alkaseltzer over here" Have the alkaselzter sitting about 10 feet away, than while you go and get it, your bottle will explode, and you turn around and say, "Holy Crap, what did you do to my experiment!?!?!" To the kid sitting closest.
lol, that was probably stupid, but w/e.

Or, you could go to walmart, go to the paintball department, Buy a 20oz CO2 tank, and bring it in to class.
"Here, Mr. whoever, here is CO2, contained in a small bottle at about 2,000 PSI, so dont drop it."

I don't think so. there is no oxygen in that unless it has an ionic bond. hmmm list some chemicals and I'll tell you if they'd react. Hydro Nitric acid, sulfuric acid, chloric acid, and percholoric acid would be the best reactants, and any alkali hydroxide (or barium or stratium hydroxide) would make the other half good.

but yeah, baking soda (sodium carbonate) and concrete etcher (hydrochloric acid) will make lots of co2 for you.

Back
Top Bottom