System Stability...not very stable huh? (Fixed I think :D)

Re: System Stability...not very stable huh?

........ Is it right that when running RAID, I should be running each drive in a seperate SATA connector? I'm guessing so, in which case, I'm right, not running them as Master and Slave..........
I would refer to your manual for that, my manual just states connect the drives so i would assume SATA1 and SATA2 headers (SATA3 & SATA4 being slaves on my board) I have little RAID experience as I see no need to use it (RAID1), I only have my OS and apps on my primary drive the rest is stored on a seperate drive. Personally I don't see the sense in having the same data on two drives. RAID0 maybe if the performance increase was dramatic but in real world terms I doubt you'd notice it on a home pc setup, corporate setups with TB's of data sure, but home?? These days disks don't fail nearly as often as in past times and with S.M.A.R.T. monitoring enabled you at least get a bit of warning.

But that's beside the point, it should still work. It looks to me that your problem more than likely lies in the RAID setup as the other hardware appears to be passing diagnostic tests just fine. I know you said you have all the latest drivers but is it worth checking the Abit site for possible updated bios files/RAID drivers? Does Abit have a forum like Asus does so you can post your problem?

I have all available BIOS, etc updates. There is no driver on my system that isn't up to date now.

I'm going to redo the Windows install, and see if that helps (can't see how, but yeah).

Yeah, SATA's set to 1 and 2, so thats not the problem then.

As for RAID, I've had many drives go on me (I'm an unlucky person :( ) and RAID 0 would simply be doubling the chance of something going wrong :p

UPDATE:

Computer has continued to blue screen, and crash on programs like Orthos, and Everest stress test.

But... tonight, I changed the voltage from 1.9v to the DDR2, to 2.0v, and you know what? Its stable...

Default is 1.8v, but that didn't let the memory run at default timings, but 1.9v did, at 4,4,4,12,2T as I read on a review to do this.
Now its on 2.0v.

I've had it running Orthos/Everest and a scan of the computer in one go for a good 25 minutes now, and its still not crashed!

So, seems like with my motherboard, my RAM needed more than usual.

But its running fine :)

At least, for now!

EDIT:

Still going :p

Anyone want to celebrate with me?
It would have gone by now usually :)

It took you 5 days since I suggested it for you to try it? :confused:

Didn't you trust me? :eek:

Good to see it's stable anyway. :cool:

Time to go enjoy it now mate, frag something ;)

:D

Well, I did up the voltage, so I could put the RAM at correct timings :p
I didn't think of upping it 0.1v more! Ah well haha

its 3:37am now, and I've set my alarm for 9.30am. I'm going to have it running Orthos and Everest's stress test at the same time.

Wish me luck, and hope it hasn't blue screened or given me an error by morning :)

Haha, then its overcl....hmm....maybe I'll wait a bit...
I'd love to see how far it could go though

Well, I woke up earlier. Its been running them for 3 hours, 45 minutes.
No errors. All still running, and , CPU cores have stayed at just under 50 degrees with only one hitting it, with the 9700 fan speed at low.

Orthos was set to stress RAM only (only does 2 cores if set to do the test), and Everest was set to test all but the local disks (too loud for bed really)

This is an image so far, and yes, haha, I've opened Photoshop while these tests are running, and also typing this while they are running..and I'm getting feedback from the PC :shock: Photoshop opened a bit slow, and crashed three times (probably due to the memory having none spare), but still!:

stress.jpg

I think I can safetly say, its finally as stable as a rock! :D

Hehe, I'm happy now :)

Its now been running Everest for 5 hours 16 minutes, with added hard drive tests now, and I also set Orthos doing Stress CPU (only runs on 2 cores), and thats been going for 1 hour 11 miuntes.

Then, I'm running Firefox, and AVG is doing a full system scan.
Plus, I ran a full screen video of a Crysis video and it was hardly wincing.

I'm also happy the CPU's only reaching 50 at full stress levels, so theres plenty of overclocking room, if I get that far

Good in my book :D

EDIT:

After 6 hours,the cores are only just starting to equalise. 49-50-51-47 degrees C

Back
Top Bottom