Yet another Overclocking advice thread.

OTSS

In Runtime
Alright well I am seeing if my current CPU set up can overclock to a point that would make a noticeable difference.

Here is the set up
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ S939 with stock heatsink and fan
MSI Nforce4 motherboard
1GB (2x512MB) DDR SDRAM Kingston Value RAM PC3200 400Mhz CL3
Sapphire Radeon X700 Pro 256MB Video card with zalman fan and heatsinks
Antec Truepower 2.0 430W Power Supply
Some Alien Case with a side window fan and back fan
160GB Hard Drive
2 Pioneer DVD RW Drives

Now I want to know what program I should use to overclock the processor and video card and if there would be a noticeable difference with this old of a system.

To overclock the CPU, its best to do it within the BIOS step by step.

As for the graphics card, you can get Rivatuner which I think works for ATI cards?

Another question
Dynamic overclocking. Is that useful at all or should I adjust everything manually?

Alright here is what I did. I went and moved my FSB from 200 to 235 and my HT Frequency from 5x to 4x. and I raised my NF4 Voltage from 1.5V to 1.65V.

Now did I do anything that was not necessary? Is there more I could do? I did not attempt anything on my Vid Card yet.

Oh yeah and I guess my overclock went from 1.81Ghz to 2.12 Ghz. Also where do I check my temperatures?

Yeah thats what I was wondering? I am not too familiar with overclocking so when should I raise the voltage? Oh yeah and what does the voltage do in an overclock? I just put it there because the bios said that was the highest that was stable but even then I am not too sure how it determined that.

Well, if you try it without raising it, it'll either boot up fine, or it won't.
With some processors, you should be able to overclock quite a bit before raising it.
I have no experience in this though, but once my computer becomes stable, I'll definietly be experimenting :p

I may not overclock the graphics card though, since doing that on my last board has messed up the graphic pipes.

I think I went a bit too far too fast though. Its something to remember when overclocking. To go slow, so that way if instability occurs, you know where abouts it went.

Alright well I put it down to 1.6V and raised FSB to 236 and it booted fine. I will try 1 at a time until something happens. But I am wondering. If I got an unstable boot at like 240, would raising the voltage help? I am not too familiar with how volts affect the overclock or stability. I just know it does not affect the actual overclock itself but just the stability or something like that.

Back
Top Bottom