Power problem? Need some help

superman22x

Golden Master
Ok, my friend has had this problem befoe, but it went away for awhile. Now its back. He was working on his computer, and than all of a sudden it turned off. Than it started randomly turning on, and turning off after 1-10 seconds. I went over there today, and noticed that the power button is super sensitive. There is the button on the outside of the computer, but that has a little stick thingy that presses another button to power it on, and when I just bow on that it will turn on. So I clicked the button and kept the button pressing thingy majiggy away so as not to bump it and turn it back off, but it still wouldnt stay on. Is it a bad power supply maybe?

it may be fried the way to tell for sure is to shut the pc off unplug everything and then plug the psu u cord into the wall if the power supply revs its fried

It may not be the PSU, but the actual button.

I think they are rather cheap to replace though, so it may be worth trying.

Other thoughts are, disconnect the button completly, and go into BIOS.

Within BIOS, there are sometimes options to power up the computer using another method, i.e a press of a hotkey, or a combination of 2 buttons.

For example, I have mine turning on with the press of the right control key, and F1.

If it still switches off and on then, its the power supply.

He removed the button after pressing it once, and BAM, it stayed on. I will tell him about the hotkey thingy, and try and help him set that up. Or, where do you buy new buttons? He has a dell dimension 5100 I think.

Side question, his mobo is goofy, and I'm just wondering if its possibly a BTX or something? It sits on the other side of the case rather than a traditional motherboard. And that Ram runs parralel to the ground rather than vertical. Otherwise its like a mirror image, is that BTX? Or just dells goofy configuration so you cant replace the mobo or cae without buying both?

Back
Top Bottom