Open Office version 2.3 is out now.

thebigdintx

Daemon Poster
For those of you who use open office, version 2.3 is out now if you want to upgrade to the latest version....it didn't show up when I opened up my open office writer, and clicked on help, then check for updates.. (i guess that was checking for updates for version 2.2). Since 2.3 is a whole different version, i just uninstalled 2.2, and went over to openoffice.org and installed 2.3.

Open Office is great. The only thing I don't like is how they try to get you to use their ODT file format. Why not just use DOC...it's pretty much the industry standard.

I don't notice anything different between 2.2 and 2.3, they probably just put some bug fixes and things like that in it.

I do like open office though, it's free and does everything MS office does. It's great for people on a budget. I use MS office 2003 but I also use open office. I'd like to know if there are plans for an open office 3.0, or something to rival MS Office 2007. It would be nice if they would put a mail client in it, sort of like Outlook but you could always just use thunderbird.

A lot of times, I just use the RTF format. Lol, I'm using Word 2007 and you know how the default format is .docx? Well, older versions of Word have one hell of a time trying to identify it and can't open it. So .rtf is something I got use to doing.

Isn't open office free? I heard of it, but never used it before.

Yes open office is free. I've used it for a few years and it's great!

Also there's a thing you can download for office 03 that lets it read the new format. I forget where it is. When I get home from school I'll post it if I can find it.

as far as the changes between version 2.2 and 2.3 go, there is a huge list of fixes listed under the release notes on the main openoffice.org page under the 2.3 info, most of which I didn't understand, and there is one major security fix noted..it says version 2.3 fixed "Manipulated TIFF files which can lead to heap overflows and arbitrary code execution". I don't really know what that is either, but I always feel better with the latest and greatest version of any software figuring whatever fixes they made are probably better than not having the fixes.

Back
Top Bottom