Ocing a q6600

I've tried the BIOS ones on the Uguru, and the ones on Everest.
When doing the stress test on Everest, it was reaching 53 degrees on one of the cores, but the actual CPU temp was lower.

I think thats pretty good though. Idle, the CPU core temp is around 31 degrees C, but a few of the cores are at around 37 degrees C and sometimes 40.

But yeah, I thought 3.6 was high for air cooling, especially in a climate like most of us are in.

Can you do me a favour and report the temps these progs give, the reason I ask is that CoreTemp and TAT seem to be the two that are reading my q6600 correctly. Asus PC Probe II (piece of pretty looking turd) is reading 9-10°C below what they really are.

Intel Thermal Analysis Tool

CoreTemp

Cheers

with watercooling that is, and then they still run into a heat issue, the q6850 has been clocked at 5.6 with phase change though.
No, look at my previous post. X-bit labs got their's up to 3.6 on air. They used a Scythe Infinity with 2 120mm fans:
scythe-s.jpg

Hmm... TAT doesn't work on mine:

"Error enumerating On Demand Clock Modulation Support.

Terminating Tool"

Core Temp Idle:

Tjunction 100 degrees C
Core 0: 32 degrees C
Core 1: 30 degrees C
Core 2: 32 degrees C
Core 3: 27 degrees C

Loaded after 5 minutes using Everest:

Tjunction: 100 degrees C
Core 0: 47 degrees C
Core 1: 49 degrees C
Core 2: 48 degrees C
Core 3: 45 degrees C

They've levelled out, so thats pretty accurate.

Fan speed on the Zalman 9700 is at low. Almost inaudible

That good for a non-overclocked Q6600? I'm hoping so...

Those look very good. Looks like they gave the new CPU's better IHS's. My E6300 isn't flat at all. I'm gonna lap it soon though, just waiting for the kit to ship.

I made sure to apply thermal paste very thinly, but as a long line in the middle as a website suggested for quad cores, and let the cooler do the flattening out. Seems to have worked :)

Hmm... TAT doesn't work on mine:

"Error enumerating On Demand Clock Modulation Support.

Terminating Tool"

Core Temp Idle:

Tjunction 100 degrees C
Core 0: 32 degrees C
Core 1: 30 degrees C
Core 2: 32 degrees C
Core 3: 27 degrees C

Loaded after 5 minutes using Everest:

Tjunction: 100 degrees C
Core 0: 47 degrees C
Core 1: 49 degrees C
Core 2: 48 degrees C
Core 3: 45 degrees C

They've levelled out, so thats pretty accurate.

Fan speed on the Zalman 9700 is at low. Almost inaudible

That good for a non-overclocked Q6600? I'm hoping so...
Weird that TAT won't work, I'm pretty sure that's the same version I have. Thanks for doing that btw.

Pretty much the same temps as mine under load (47-45-43-43, I have my Zalman cranked up as it is warm here today) though your idle is lower than mine by a couple of degrees, I'm usually around the 34-36°C.

I'm going to reseat my 9700 with some Arctic MX2 when my new 5¼" bay cooler arrives and I open the case up. I used some Antec 99% silver TIM last time I mounted it as my MX2 had yet to arrive, I'll be interested to see how much of a difference it makes, all the reviews I've seen put it 1-2°C cooler usinf MX2.

You may find the temps will drop a little more as you go through a couple of thermal cycles, around 200 hours is normal to reach maximum efficiency.

The one thing I'm curious about the reviews between AS5 and MX-2 is if they are letting both of them cure, especially the AS5, since it is known that they perform best when it cures.

Back
Top Bottom