a simple cpu question from a newb

huk

Solid State Member
I have a pentium 4 cpu in my computer (desktop sony viao, pcv-rs620g). I've come to the conclution that either the mobo or the cpu have bit and have decided to replace the cpu first; since it is the cheapest. what i need to know is: what spec. do i need to purchase a replacement cpu. In other words i don't want to get an incompatible one.

Oh yeah! if anyone knows how to figure out whether its the cpu or the mobo, let me know; i could definately use the hand.

ty

download cpu-z(google it)and take screens of the first page and the tab that says motherboard or something like that, if your not sure just just ask.

That program is awesome; thanks for the tip. However it didn't realy help me any. The comp. i'm haveing problems with won't start up. That's why i think the cpu is shot. It may ot be though for all i know. I turn it on, the fan run, i here the drives being check but i get nothing on the screne then it just shuts down.

It could be a number of things, unfortunately. Power issue (in which case, your symptoms sound a lot like my old laptop), bad hard drive, overheating CPU, RAM, etc., etc. etc. Try putting in the Windows DVD and reboot. See what it does at that point.

Back
Top Bottom