New router

freestyler105

Golden Master
My current router, a Netgear WGR614, has served me well, but I think it's dying on me. My connection occasionally dies, and that's just a pain when I'm trying to get stuff done.

So it's time for an upgrade. I decided I might as well go for a nice router. Everyone's been talking about 802.11n, so it'll have that. The adapters for 802.11n are super expensive though...I probably will just stick with G until the adapters come down in price.

Anyway, I also want Gigabit ethernet. Especially if I'm going to be gaming or streaming video over my LAN as I do a lot.

Right now, this seems to be my best option:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127215
It has a lot of advanced features in addition to those like QoS which could be really useful...what do you guys think?

looks great, theres almost never going to be router that it 5 eggs because theres always some person that doesn't know what they are doing with routers or automatically blame their problem on the router right away, so dont be discouraged by the 4 or less eggs.

oh sorry i ment that as a question is a N router* sorry cuz i wanna no cuz i need a new router 2

My current router, a Netgear WGR614, has served me well, but I think it's dying on me. My connection occasionally dies, and that's just a pain when I'm trying to get stuff done.

So it's time for an upgrade. I decided I might as well go for a nice router. Everyone's been talking about 802.11n, so it'll have that. The adapters for 802.11n are super expensive though...I probably will just stick with G until the adapters come down in price.

Anyway, I also want Gigabit ethernet. Especially if I'm going to be gaming or streaming video over my LAN as I do a lot.

Right now, this seems to be my best option:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127215
It has a lot of advanced features in addition to those like QoS which could be really useful...what do you guys think?

Take a peek at this, full flexibility.

http://smoothwall.org/

Yeah, it's a pre-N router. I'm probably gonna get it, I'll post a review if I do. Keep in mind that you need a N compatible network card too though, which will run you a good $100.

So is that SmoothWall thing just like a firewall? What exactly is special about it?

Yeah, it's a pre-N router. I'm probably gonna get it, I'll post a review if I do. Keep in mind that you need a N compatible network card too though, which will run you a good $100.

So is that SmoothWall thing just like a firewall? What exactly is special about it?

It's a high powered firewall. It has the ability to run on just about any X86 hardware available.

It's great if you have some older hardware laying around, the features and protection it offers you are just amazing. I ditched an 800$ Cisco router to run Smoothwall.

Sweet, I'll have to check it out. I still need a router though...I can't wait to test the difference I get with Gigabit ethernet. And the 300 Mbps 802.11n is amazing for wireless.

Back
Top Bottom