Please help - computer randomly rebooting

cwharms

In Runtime
Pentium D 805(no overclock), ecs MB, 2 x 1gb DDR2, Samsung 400gb sata2, XP Pro SP2

My HD crashed about a month ago, so I reformatted using the sammy.

Everything was fine until a few days ago. Now, in the middle of anything, sometimes every 10 minutes, others every hour or so, the computer shuts down and restarts. I never lose power, it's as if I hit the re-start button. I have no errors, it reboots just fine.

I am really at my wits end. Can it be the new HD? MB? power supply? Blah!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

sounds like you need to put the heatsink and fan on better..........try reputting that on if that dosent work it could be your powersupply but i highly doubt it..........how many fans does your case have????is the airflow restricted???and whats the tempture of the house ure in it all factors into if your comp os over heating or not.

might be a heat problem, download everest home edition and click on computer, then sensor, then tell us all the tempretures you have.

I'm going to check that now. The system has been fine for the last year, and the temp. inside the house now is cooler than usual currently.

I have 2 case fans.

Also, it was fine last night. Today, I can barely get a sentence typed before it shuts down.

Another thing I noticed on 2 occasions, when it attempted to re-start, windows didn't start to load. It was stuck on the MB identification screen. I had to manually restart the computer.

Well, first off, go into BIOS then the temperature sensor. Check out the CPU temperatures. If they are above 50, then reapply the TP.

If it prooves not to be that, a faulty power supply could be the cause.
You said your hard drive crashed? Those tend to be the most sensitive of computer parts, to over voltage, etc.
You may want to check it out.

Back
Top Bottom