HELP!! Very Mystified

BrynF_UK

Fully Optimized
Ok let me give you the basics. I've got an old computer i've been working on, i got a new CPU for it, New HD, and now a new motherboard. I turn it on. And blank. The CPU Fan and PSU fan are spinning, the Green Power LED is on, but the HD does nothing, and the HD light doesnt come on either.

Now, i tried to take the RAM out and see if it would go "beeeeep" when it started up - it didnt - so whats wrong? I've tested the PSU and all the voltages are as they should be (well within the tolerances anyway) but it can't possibly be the motherboard since its a new one - right? :confused: :confused:

Any suggestions welcome..

By any chance does your new motherboard need an ATX12v connection, your not supplying power to?

Check for a power connection on the motherboard that isn't plugged up, and find the appropiate lead on the PSU for it.

If you've got everything connected right, it could be a DOA, meaning Dead On Arrival :(

well I've got the 20-pin main power lead plugged in, and the 4-pin power connector which I'm assuming your talking about is also plugged in...but I'll have a look in case I've missed something else...

If it is a DOA can i claim a refund or replacement? Ive got it open and out of the packaging (obviously :D) or would i need to have it tested to prove that it is defective?

Thanks

PSU max output is 250W

no specification for the mobo's power requirements - but so far i've tried to turn it on and all that have been drawing power is the mobo, hard drive, cpu and ram so unless the mobo needs over 180W i think its getting enough...

Thanks

no lol i decided to buy a socket 775 cpu for a 478 mobo and just soldered wires to all the tiny pins....

I WAS KIDDING!! lol

yes im quite sure theyre the same lol

PSU max output is 250W

no specification for the mobo's power requirements - but so far i've tried to turn it on and all that have been drawing power is the mobo, hard drive, cpu and ram so unless the mobo needs over 180W i think its getting enough...

Thanks
This will be your problem more than likely, what brand is it, is 250W total output? what are the amps on the 12v rail? what m/board, cpu and ram are you using?

is your VDU connected to your GRAPHICS CARD maybe it is connected to your motherboard graphics. thats if you have a gpu??

Motherboard: ASRock PV4M890
CPU: Intel Celeron D 2.5GHz
RAM: 512Mb Samsung DDR
HD: Western Digital 10Gb
PSU : Bestec ATX-250-12E
Max Output 250W
Max Output @ 3.3v & 5v 150W
Max Amperes @ +12v = 13A
@ +5V = 25A
@ +3.3V = 20A
GPU: Onboard Graphics

Back