Crashing

Captain Pooka

Daemon Poster
Alright, my computer is 6 years old and it has started crashing again... Well not really crashing.. but turning off and on..

In my pasts posts I have tried to make a network bridge for halo or for my brother.. so we can both be on the internet without a router. So I bought another NIC.

Well.. Every once and a while, about and hour into using my computer, I do more than one thing and it lags up really bad (it's ok for the first hour) and then once everything gets settled/I close everything my computer lags all to hell and back unless I restart it.

Well yesterday this happened to me and then I got signed out of MSN and My internet connection was lost! (The network computer tray said I was online but IE didn't work..) Shortly after (about 30 seconds) my computer just restarted out of no where. And now you ask, what is the significance of the two nics here? Well, when My computer restarts, it gets to the welcome screen and just restarts again, and again, and again, untill I switch my Ethy cable (coming from the modem) into the other network card that it's not in. Then I restart my computer and everything works...

I know it's not one of my network cards because, no matter which nic I have the cable plugged in to it will start doing the same thing about 2 days to a week later. So I have to keep switching my cable from my new nic to the old one, back to the new one and so on..

I don't know what's up :p Please help :D

This has been going on for a while.

Thanks
~Q

has it started happening since you changed things with your router / network card.

if so try updating or rolling back your drivers for it.

My teacher said some stuff.. And what I got out of it is that the NICs are fighting over who should take dominance.. But I don't understand because this only happens every once and a while..

so u got 2 network cards ?

if so are u using both of them or jus 1.

is why do u have 2 is 1 broke ?

well if u only use 1 try disabling the other

yeah i remember how my brothers broke it would download at like 0.10kb/per second lol until we got a new network card.

Well, I have two so I can have the ethy cable connected to the computer and the modem, then I can have a cross over cable hooked from my other nic to another computer or my x-box.. so they could both be online at the same time.

I guess one of them could be broken.. or both.. but they both work. Some times they download fast and, like you said, sometimes they download slow.. I hope they arn't both broken :p

Back
Top Bottom