VMware Security

Sierra Dog

Beta member
My promary PC has Windows XP on it, but I use VMware Workstation to use Linux Ubuntu and Fedora on the same machine. For the last 3 years I have paid for every song download I get through iTunes to put on my iPod, and I still don't mind paying the $1 a song. However, Apple is doing as bad of a job updating songs as they do when desigining their crappy Mac OS (no offense Mac lovers).

So I want to use Limewire to get the new songs that aren't available through iTunes. However, I will never be stupid enough to place P2P software on my PC. I want to know if when I create a VMware install of an OS (say Linux) if that closes that off from the rest of my PC. It would be great if I could install another copy of Fedora on my Pc to use for Limewire and not worry about the spyware that comes along with using Limewire affecting the rest of my PC.

If you know whether getting malware of any sort on an OS distro installed through VMware Workstation can be placed anywhere on the HD that could affect any other installs or my main OS (win xp) please let me know.

Thanks,
Matt

Description under the Security/Hacking forum:

Discussion on security issuses/hack attacks and security consulting. Please note that we can't active promote, discuss hacking scripts with ilegal intentions.

We don't discuss this type of topic when it involves ilegal activities, i.e. downloading copyrighted material.

Sorry.

It's legal in Canada, so i'll answer :)

No, the spyware cannot cross virtual machines. Your fedora install will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom