Sound Drivers messing up? (I'm pretty sure its the RAM now)

Re: Sound Drivers messing up?

Looks like I have got bad sticks, or one bad stick (but they came as a pack, so...)

I let MemTest run from like 2.30 in the morning, until 1:30 this afternoon (when I got up...)

Checked the screen, and even though it said no errors, it had only passed 9 tests in that time, and had frozen at 3 hours 31 minutes and 29 seconds.

If the tests had worked, it should have been going on for 10 hours or more.

But yeah, I tried to exit, and it had completly gone so I had to reset, yet, the program was still flashing the plus symbol at the top of the screen.

Heres a shot of it:

DSC00512.jpg

Guess I can conclude it is the RAM?

erm don't mind that.

I dunno man.

On a side note, if you RMA, you have to send both back, since it was a pack.

So, I should RMA :) The stores only 20 minutes away by car, so thats not an issue.

No problem. Only issue is, they'll test the RAM, and it is functioning fine, until you do something for more than 2-3 hours.
In FEAR it crashes around the same time.

So, how will they possibly test it? In the process of testing it, I'll have to wait until I get RAM which could take weeks.

I think I may buy another 2GB set, and then wait for the others to come back, and then re-insert them too.

Luckily, Micro Direct is pretty good for returns

At least I know what the issue is now!

Tell them it fails memtest. Failure-imminent.

I've only had one stick of ram from geil, and it was a good one. It's been in my dad's PC for the past year, and it's been rock solid the whole time.
Shame you got a bad set man.

I haven't ran another memtest, test, but I've managed to make the RAM boot at its default 4,4,4,12,2T timings.

I looked up a review, and Bjorn3D said that the vvolts had to be set to 1.9 for it to boot at default, otherwise the chips were slowed down to 5,5,5,18 timings.

Low and behold, I upped that, corrected the timings, and it boots at the right speed.

Ohhh your motherboard didn't detect the right voltage and it wasn't getting enough power...wow, I can't believe I didn't think of that, haha.

Duh LOL dumb dumb dumb. Can't believe I missed that as well. It would appear Abit does the same as Evga auto defaulting memory to 5,5,5,15 @ 1.8V.

Dude now that you got it up and running start benching. Summers about over and I should be able to really push mine shortly and wanna see if I can hang with your quad and 640 vs my dual 320 ;)

I declare bench wars :)

Haha, RAM still isn't 100% stable I don't think, but just did a 3D Mark06 test with no overclocking and got:

9748 3D Marks.

I ranked 16 out of everyone with the same type of config as me. I think thats pretty good! 16 out of 186 computers it says.

I rank 298257 out of everyone whos submitted mind.

It says I ranked better than 87% of systems

Back
Top Bottom