Difference in PCI-express graphics slot

TRDCorolla1

Golden Master
I found this image from Newegg describing the slots on the motherboard and such. Didn't realize there were two different kinds of graphic slot. What does these two mean?

PCIe x16, I know, but now there's a PCIe Graphics expansion slot???

13-188-019-04.jpg

No. PCI Express is not "just" a graphics slot. It's a semi-standard PCI-Type slot with 16x the speed. The PCI Express X1 simply means that that express slot can only run at 1x speed rather than 16x. It's not another graphics slot.

I don't know much about them, I may be very wrong, however I believe PCI Express is going to become the next standard slot for addon modules.

no, hes asking why theres 5 pci-express slots on that motherboard. theres 2 PCI-express slots for SLI-ing 2 graphics cards, no clue what the other x16 slot is for, and the 2 small ones could be for sound cards and stuff.

The middle PCI-E card is just not SLI capable. Thats why it's labeled differently.

The middle PCI-E card is just not SLI capable. Thats why it's labeled differently.

thats not true
the 3rd slot was made so you could use one 8800 as a physics card
and right now u can with the latest drivers have 3 8800 in sli

It's the blue slot that's puzzling me. It's labeled as a PCIe graphics card expansion slot and it threw me off. I'm like, what? I know the x16 slots, but that blue slot throws a curve ball. Now that you've mentioned it, physics card comes to mind.

the only difference is its 8x speed but it dosnt matter
8800 is 16/8 compatible

It is just another PCIe 16x slot for a physics card or something else that uses that interface. That way you can still run SLI.

The thrid slot is meant to be used as a physics card port (I know the 88's but i'm sure the rest of the 8 Series have a physics processing unit that will work there)/

thats not true
the 3rd slot was made so you could use one 8800 as a physics card
and right now u can with the latest drivers have 3 8800 in sli

Proof of that? Last I heard it is still being worked on.

Back
Top Bottom