Yet another *need help building new computer* thread

That case you picked out; if you get it, you'll have an extra lazy 350W PSU and no fans in your case. Remember: Cooling is important for performance. If you want your hardware to work hard, make sure it gets sufficient cooling.

So you'll have to buy some fans which may not be worth it.

First is the power supply. That Orion XPOWER585 sounds like a fantastic deal, it has almost no negative reviews too. So I'll probably go with that. Thanks Mambug!

No problem. I had another thread talking about the Rosewill I was going to buy, but Rudster and others insisted it was a bad idea. So I went even cheaper and found that guy which looks like a good run for a very low price.

Hell, it even has dual 12V with 2 fans.

Well, I actually agree with Ruds and that the 800Mhz is VERY worth the money.

I like the RAM you chose, but not the mobo. I mean I guess it is OK for a budget board, but you can't go better than a 680i chipset.

I can't keep to a budget... Oh well!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188019

How's that for the mobo? I just don't feel comfortable with the Asus P5B, the reviews on Newegg are way too low. Like I said at the start it's a *rough* 600$ budget... meaning I'll probably end up spending 700$. Is there anything cheaper then that Evga mobo that is as good? I'd like to shave about 20$ off there...

And yea, I forgot about cooling, so I think I'll bump the case up to what freestyler suggested.

And for the graphics card, would this be any better? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150228

I actually love that mobo. I have one of those and an A1 one, and I honestly see very VERY little difference, so go for it.

That's a very good motherboard. My friend just bought that like a couple weeks ago and ran it. No problems upon boot. Specs are very impressive and the price is somewhat good.

I'm a fan boy of XFX. Any XFX GPU will run amazingly well compared to it's competition within the same criteria. Ironically enough, I just purchased an EVGA GPU and I'll have to see if it was really worth it...

Your 8600GTS is slightly better than the 8600GT. The only real difference I see is that the GTS supports HDCP, Quantum Effects as well as a slightly faster core clock.

If those mean anything to you, I suppose the 8600GTS would be OK.

So I don't really need the GTS? I just wanted something better then what I had because Rudster said it wouldn't be able to run many games. Is what he said just not true? I don't have to have them at max settings, I just want a good frame-rate.

So I don't really need the GTS? I just wanted something better then what I had because Rudster said it wouldn't be able to run many games. Is what he said just not true? I don't have to have them at max settings, I just want a good frame-rate.

The GTS will not improve your frame rates noticeably. It has the same BIT Interface, Same RAM and an ever-so-slightly increased processing speed.

Back
Top Bottom