Dual Channeling?

NeciFiX

In Runtime
I've made many topics here and I finally got the $$$ to get 2 Gigs of RAM for my PC.

Two questions...

A) Would Dell Dimension 4600 memory work on a Dell Dimension 4600i computer?

B) What is dual channeling? Crucial.com states my PC does not support it. I would have in slots 1 & 2, 2x 1 GB of RAM, then in slots 3 and 4, two 512 modules. Is Dual Channeling a 1 512 and a 1 1 GB stick next to each other, or is it two different sizes of RAM in the same system? So, since my PC does not support Dual Channeling, can I still do 2x 1 GB sticks in slots 1 and 2 for example, and 512 and 512 in slots 3 and 4? Or is this dual channeling? Or is dual channeling like for instance a 1 GB and a 512 in the same pair of slots. I'm confused!

Thanks!

~NeciFiX

P.S. If I can't dual channel then I'll just get 2 GB... the third GB isn't really worth it, from what I've heard the extra GB will make an increase but it won't be too significant, in my opinion, the money for the second stick could go to new speakers! I've had these old ones since 1999! Along with the huge ass monitor. Urrg.

all i kno is duel channel are usually color cordenated.......dell supports it in the xps line but idk bout that.i would just get the 2 gigs really dont need more then that unless yo got vista.

a) As long as both use the same (either ddr or ddr2) they will work together. Ram speeds might be different, but they will still work together. (though all sticks will automatically run at the speed of the slowest stick)

b) dual channel is when 2 ram sticks work together. It doesn't effect any compatability stuff, only performance. (I'd say dual channel increases the ram performance by 10% or so) And when using dual channel the ram sticks should be identical. Might work even if they are different brand but they should definitely be the same size.

Well thank you but that didn't completely answer my question. Is what I said dual channeling? Here would be my setup...

Bank 1

1 GB RAM
1 GB RAM

Bank 2

512 MB
512 MB

Is that dual channeling? If so, then crucial says I can't do it.

that would not be dual channeling... this would:

Slot 1 and 3: 1 GB
Slot 2 and 4: 512 MB

but every computer is made different, they should be color coded to tell you if that is right

that would not be dual channeling... this would:

Slot 1 and 3: 1 GB
Slot 2 and 4: 512 MB

but every computer is made different, they should be color coded to tell you if that is right

Oh, so I could do what I just said and it wouldn't be dual channeling? Meaning if I did that my PC would accept it? My PC Doesn't allow Dual Channeling.

Crucial only sells Dell 4600, would this site work for Dell 4600i?: http://www.pcmemorystore.com/Dell-Dimension-4600i-ram.htm

And it says that, in the model specs, the 'speed' is PC-2700, what is the difference between 2700 and 3200? And can my PC still run 3200 if it's faster?

Thanks!

~NeciFiX

Dual Channel:
Dual channel DDR SDRAM is a motherboard technology used to increase memory performance, by using two channels to load data into memory. The memory controller utilizes two 64 bit data channels, resulting in a total of 128 bits, effectively doubling the bandwidth to memory. In order to achieve this, the DDR SDRAM memory modules must be installed into matching memory slots.

It looks like the Crucial site may be wrong. Everything I've read about the Dell Dimension 4600 series says it supports dual channel. Here's the specification sheet for it.

Your proposed setup of 1GB each in slots one and two and 512MB each in slots three and four are correct for dual channel operation on that system.

Memory that works in the Dimension 4600 will also work in the 4600i as they are both based on the same techonology.

Yes, your computer can run the faster PC3200 memory. But you must remember that if your current memory is PC2700, the new PC3200 memory will run at the slower PC2700 speed if installed at the same time.

Dual Channel:
Dual channel DDR SDRAM is a motherboard technology used to increase memory performance, by using two channels to load data into memory. The memory controller utilizes two 64 bit data channels, resulting in a total of 128 bits, effectively doubling the bandwidth to memory. In order to achieve this, the DDR SDRAM memory modules must be installed into matching memory slots.

It looks like the Crucial site may be wrong. Everything I've read about the Dell Dimension 4600 series says it supports dual channel. Here's the specification sheet for it.

Your proposed setup of 1GB each in slots one and two and 512MB each in slots three and four are correct for dual channel operation on that system.

Memory that works in the Dimension 4600 will also work in the 4600i as they are both based on the same techonology.

Yes, your computer can run the faster PC3200 memory. But you must remember that if your current memory is PC2700, the new PC3200 memory will run at the slower PC2700 speed if installed at the same time.

Well the 4600i Memory is cheaper... so I may just get that.

Oh, so Dell 4600 has dual channel? Meaning it would actually be beneficial to put a 512 next to a 1 GB? or would it be more beneficial to put the 1 Gigs next to each other and the 512's in the opposite bank?

I'll talk to Crucial about the dual channel thing. How could I tell if my current 512's have 3200 or 2700? I know that the system comes with 256 MB, the guy who I bought the computer from had bought a huge extra hard drive and replaced the 256 with 2x 512's. Should I ask him or can I find it out simply on the RAM?

Thanks!

~NeciFiX

Yes, it tells you whether you have a dual channel and everything you need to know about RAM. I love that utility. To verify that your memory is running in dual channel with CPU-Z, look under the memory tab and look for the spot where it says “Channel #.” It will either say single or double.

Dual channel ONLY works in pairs. You can have one pair or two pairs. Odd # RAM modules, sorry, out of luck there. Another factor to consider is the type and quality of memory modules you get. It is highly recommended that you buy two of the same modules, and even better, at the same time. Manufacturers over time can switch what chips are in the memory.

Make sure the RAM are the same speed and memory latency. You don't want to buy a high speed or low latency memory only to have it washed out by the other stick, which isn't as fast or possesses a higher latency. When running in dual channel each stick must perform exactly the same, so they must have the same speed and same latency.

Back
Top Bottom