Something weird just happened to my computer...

Have you tried a system restore or a system repair with your xp disc? if it carries on then you should go for a reformat for a piece of mind

my computer used to do funny things like this before becoming completely unuseable. youve probs got a load of nasty viruses eating away at it.
can you see your files in safe mode?
also try right clicking the c drive, going to properties. tools, then running the error checking.

my computer used to do funny things like this before becoming completely unuseable. youve probs got a load of nasty viruses eating away at it.
can you see your files in safe mode?
also try right clicking the c drive, going to properties. tools, then running the error checking.

Well I assume there are no viruses and was not able to see files in safe mode but I already did the error check before you posted this and that cleaned up the double icons on desktop and I went to defragment and clicked the analysis button and it showed all my missing files were in a found.000 folder. So I looked all over for this folder and searched for it and everything then I just did what I should have done in first place. typed c:/found.000 in my bar at top and found all the files that were missing. Now everything is back to normal and I saved myself alot of time reformating and money on the missing music files.

I always assumed that there were no viruses though because I am pretty careful about that kind of thing. I manually scan everything I don't trust and even most of the stuff I do trust just in case. Plus I am behind a computer firewall and router firewall. I also have a virus scanner that detects both spyware and viruses the second it appears.

congrats on getting it fixed!

hey, no matter what you do, a virus can still get in.. it depends on the way it was programmed and how it is supposed to work... just remember to scan your files individually like you say you do all the time. It would help if you had more than one program to do that. Hell, it might not have even been a virus, it could have been some freak incident that rarely happens, but I'm quite certain it was a virus.

Yeah I think it was a virus as well but I don't know how I got rid of it or if it is even gone lol. I scanned a couple times with 2 diff scanners and nothing shows so I am assuming it is gone. But what a weird place for the found files to be lol.

Back
Top Bottom