Car Thread!

if your paying £28500ish for the top of the line RX-8 (with the extras), you might as well pay a couple of grand more and get something very fast..

2003_atom-2_1.jpg

0-100-0 in 11.35s. now thats a properly fast motor..

that looks so cool!

Yeah, it's cool, but pretty impractical.
There's no windshield. Originally I had two "dream cars" that I could possibly afford someday, and I was trying to narrow it down. It was between a Lotus Exige and a Caterham. I chose the Exige because if you get caught in a storm you're not completely SOL.
Hahaha :D

So basically what constitutes power are fuel pumps, fuel rail, injectors, which up the primary fuel system right. Upgrade those along with new ECU mapping, intake mod (turbo, supercharger, manifold), finishes it off right?

As far as talks for generating that extra power. I must be getting this forum confused with another forum. I'm on 3 forums right now and it's mind boggling.

Yeah, that one kinda came out of nowhere.
Here's my thoughts on the matter, though. You can never be "finished" because once you finish the stock motor you can swap a bigger one. :D
You can be "finished" to the point where it's barely able to be street driven. The idea is to burn more fuel to make power, usually decent turbo or supercharger kits will come with better injectors in the first place. The fuel rail doesn't necessarily need to be swapped out unless you're going for broke. You just have to know what the weak points and strengths are on the car. For instance, the coil pack on the Focus is proven good for 350+ whp, yet some people still insist on changing it out and spending another $300 for cars that barely have anything done to them.

It doesn't stop at your list, you could do a port/polish, or a new head with a valve job. You could add some insane overlapping cams. You could increase the compression ratio. You could upgrade to an even bigger exhaust which will make a turbo sing. You would at least need some kind of exhaust cause there's no point in modding only the intake side and having a huge bottleneck out the other side of the engine. With all that work done, an exhaust would add so much power and responsiveness it wouldn't even be funny.

There are a lot of people that does that, but I guess you really have to be a race fan to do all that work. Even if people have the need for speed, well, it's hard to satisfy until you have everything just right. I think there's a certain point where you just have to stop unless you just have the cash to spend.

What is your take on aftermarket exhaust system? I mean, my car is bone stock right now but do you feel adding a cat-back is a waste of money?

I would do a full exhaust all the way up to the headers, you will get the most out of your engine that way. If you have a warranty, I would talk to your dealer before you start replacing parts on your car.

Edit: Why are you so dead set on a 300? They are still relatively new so they won't be that cheap. Get something that won't cost you an arm and leg at the gas station.

It's better to get a catback and do it right the first time than to buy a cheapo muffler and weld it in there, then have to replace it when you start looking for more power. Then again, my top-of-the-line catback was $350 shipped to the door, while yours is like $600-ish for a decent one, right? I've done an intake, throttle body, and catback. That's all I've done to the engine. Partially because I want to remain in the STS class in the SCCA races, but also, I'm fairly happy with the way my car performs, even though it's really slow in a straight line.

Back
Top Bottom