CPU temps too high after applying AS5

I cleaned it all how muz said to and I reapplied it with thermal paste about the size of a grain of rice and now it idles at 54C... A bit of a drop, but not a whole lot. Hopefully it will set in. I only got one case fan in this system, plus the CPU fan. Should I mod the case to put one on the side panel, or would the rear case fan do? It's an eMachines micro ATX case (nothing but the optical drives and HSF are stock eMachines though).

Installing BF2 now to play it and see how well it does under load.

It does take a while to set in, you'll see a bit of a drop after that.

Yup.

Arctic Silver's web site said:
3) Break-In Period
Due to the unique shape and sizes of the particles in Arctic Silver 5 conductive matrix, it will take a up to 200 hours and several thermal cycles to achieve maximum particle to particle thermal conduction and for the heatsink to CPU interface to reach maximum conductivity. (This period will be longer in a system without a fan on the heatsink or with a low speed fan on the heatsink.) On systems measuring actual internal core temperatures via the CPU's internal diode, the measured temperature will often drop 2C to 5C over this "break-in" period. This break-in will occur during the normal use of the computer as long as the computer is turned off from time to time and the interface is allowed to cool to room temperature. Once the break-in is complete, the computer can be left on if desired.

So let it set, thermal cycle it a few times then you'll see the difference.

Ok, thanks. I'll cycle it. I tried a couple games on it since I got my EVGA 7600GT also and it was running up to 70C on BF2 and Oblivion. Is that safe for the processor? Only got 512MB ram in it so the games made it switch into virtual memory also, that really slowed it down when exiting the game... Oh well, it's a temporary system until I sell my 4 other systems and then this one minus the 7600GT to get money for my new build.

Would rep some of you, but I can't.

Back
Top Bottom