CPU temps too high after applying AS5

Jesusfrk611

Fully Optimized
I bought a bunch of stuff for my temporary gaming PC including a 7600GT (UPS decided it wanted to damage the box, stuff works), case fans, and Arctic Silver 5 since I have a CPU and heatsink, but it had used thermal paste. I apply the Arctic Silver as it says on the website after wiping off the old stuff really good. I power up and open up Speed Fan and it's idling at 55-60C. With the old thermal paste I was getting about the same temps... I didn't buy a new heatsink, I just got a stock one, can't afford one now.

What might be the problem? The only thing I can come up with is that it has to set in before it goes to normal temps, or I didn't get the old stuff off good enough. I've never reapplied thermal paste before, so I don't really know what I'm doing here. How might I clean it if it's just that I didn't get all the old off? Would prefer not to buy a cleaner.

Processor is a P4 HT 2.8GHz Prescott

Have you applied the AS5 properly what did you clean the old one off with

I cleaned it with a dry cotton cloth, I didn't know what else there was to clean it with... I applied it as the arctic silver website said to do.

Hmm , was the cloth lint free
Also you need to make sure every trace of the old thermal paste is removed from the HSF

It looked really clean to me. I don't know if it was lint free, may not have been. I just wiped it a lot until I didn't see the old thermal paste and then some more just because. Am I supposed to use cotton cloth, or some other kind? I got a glasses cleaning cloth I could use too. Should I get the cloth wet or keep it dry?

USe some isoprpyl alcohol to clean it with a lint free cloth , glasses cleaner cloth works for me

Ok, I'll take it off, clean it with that and then try and reapply it to see if it works. Thanks.

No problems happy to help ,
Also dont worry it took me a few times to get the installation right now i do it first time almost every time
Also i woukd try just a lil rice grain in the middle of it and then rotating the HSF as far as pos

Back
Top Bottom