Video Card Height making it confusing to upgrade my noob computer

Thrasher

Daemon Poster
Low profile case making it hard to upgrade my noob computer's video card!

Hey guys my name's Chris, I just turned 17 and I live in Australia (this is a short intro for my first post lol). Anyway, I really want to upgrade my computer, specifically the video card and processor but my budget is around $280 AUS = $206 US. (I'm not working at the moment).

I know it's not much but my computer is a Dell - Pentium III Optiplex GX150 running Windows XP with an Intel 1.2Ghz and 512mb of RAM. My video card is a RADEON 9200SE AGP and this is the main problem, it's only 5.5cm = 2.2 inches (not exact, measured by hand) I WAS thinking of buying a Geforce 6600(GT?) but it's not going to fit is it??. My soundcard is a Sound Blaster Audigy 4 so I'm happy with that :)

The only game I currently run is The Sims 2 with 3 expansions which runs well cause I have 50GB free space on an 80 GB hard drive and it's got a good selection of quality settings. The reason why I want to improve my computer's performance is because I want to run Counter Strike Source on it, then pretty much no other games, I would like to play online but do you think it's even worth it? (After a new video card that will fit and/or processor I can afford).

Thanks for reading so far by the way, I only joined to ask this question and it'd be very appreciated if you gave me as much advice as possible or your own opinion thanks. Ask me for any other information but I took some photos.

I tried to get a good shot of my graphics card but you can see the RAM slots on the left
ComputerForums1.jpg

This is pretty much the rest and yes I am embarrassed about my n00b PC haha

ComputerForums2.jpg

I'll get a new computer next year but I still want to keep this machine for my brother.

So, to summarize

- Is there a replacement video card that will fit?
- My father says I can't replace my RAM chips, why is this?
- What processor do you suggest I buy?

You could get a new video card, yeah, easily.

AGP is a dying breed, but... saying that, there are reports that they are working on an AGP 8000 series to run Direct X 10...

If you are going to do a full overhaul though later this year or something, going for an AGP card is a bit pointless, as buying a new processor will mean buying a new motherboard, and most new motherboards only support PCI-Express which is the new form of video card slot, capable of faster speeds.

I don't see why you couldn't change your RAM. Because it is a pre-made computer though, I think your dad thinks its going to be a bit picky, which is probably true, but if you find the right speed to replace the two you have now with more memory, I don't see the issue.

For now, I'd definietly go about getting a new graphics card if you aren't updating for a while, as you'll see the best improvement in games, as even now, the CPU does matter, but not half as much.

Since Source uses physics that'll run on your processor though, you may have to run at lower settings for this, but other than that, you should be okay.

Right... video cards:

Newegg?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814241041

The X1950 board can still run new Direct X9 games at high resolutions if you can afford it :)

Re: Low profile case making it hard to upgrade my noob computer's video card!

Hey thanks!

Well that's good news and I checked it out, it's a good price but it mentions Intel Pentium 4 in the requirements so even though mine's Pentium 3 would that card would be ok? My main worry is my dad claims the case is ‘low profile' I think. He showed me the bracket that my current card uses and then the bracket from a usual card and the difference wasn't reassuring haha here's some photos.

ComputerForums4.jpg

ComputerForums3.jpg

If it doesn't fit by about an inch, I'll prop it up to allow for it LOL something permanently I'll work it out and yeah I think we can change the RAM sticks to something like 2x 512's? Any idea what I should get for an older machine like mine?

I really only have a couple years experience with configuring user settings and software but I have no idea when it comes to hard ware as you can tell.

you can buy low profile video cards like that, but nothing that is gonna be great performance. I'd save your money and work on getting/building a new comp in a standard atx case. Agp and low profile your not gonna find any video cards worth buying except for the ones that are when you need something besides onboard video.

GET A NEW COMPUTER!!!!!!!!!! my old school had comps with pents 2 and 3 and they suck

if u want a alsome computer then w8 like a week cuz AMD is releasing new CPUs this month :D thats wat i heard :p but u no AMD with there timing :p

also a low profile computer is only good for offices and stuff
its time to get a new computer which u will see a big improvement from that
2.0- 3.0 ghz CPU Dual core
800 Mhz DDR2 Ram
Wondering if the Hard drive is 7,200 RPM if not WoW
and the better video cards :D

like everyone is saying just save your money........your computer plays the games that you want for now so no need to upgrade...................you have 200 bucks x mas is comoing up so you could have more money then and betime its your b day poof brand new computer.

save a bit more and you can get what i have now ,
this cost me about $260 USD but taking into consideration i already had HDD and optical drives
ANd things are cheaper everywhere compared to UK anyway , you will be suprized at us pricing

Yeah but the dell mobos and powersupplies arent always ATX standard so it wont go in easily , and if its a SFF it prolly will be a completely different form factor

Hey guys thanks for all the honest replies. I understand about the low profile problem, I'll have to put up with it. I'm a musician so that's where most of my money goes (probably into guitar services and setting up my new 1's bridge now) but after spending so much time looking at instruments, it's really cool to see so many good computer parts are so cheap in comparison. I had no idea and expected a new one to cost me $700 lol what's the most expensive card out at the moment? (not as if price designates a good buy, just wondering).

I'm still interested in knowing if I can change my RAM until then because the new computer will have to wait til March 2008 or something. Found a good users guide for my model and here it's telling me:

You can increase system memory up to 512 MB by using synchronous dynamic random-access memory (SDRAM) dual in-line memory modules (DIMMs). The system board illustration shows the location of the DIMM sockets on the system board (DIMMs must be non-error checking and correction [non-ECC]).

So there's no way each slot could take 512 each? that sucks lol here's the lay out by the way

Back
Top Bottom