Best Computer

The TV tuner will come with software for watching TV. However, I would recomend using a Windows with Media center (XP or Vista Home Premium). It's very easy in Media center. Channels are all the same, recording is as easy as two mouse clicks.

Not sure about the other two.

Have you bought the new computer yet? If not, and your not looking to build yourself, please PM me I have another option for you that I will not do in normal view.

Just as an added note, saving TV shows to your computer takes up alot of space. You will be fine with 160GB for a little bit, but you will need more in the future. Speaking of that, I need to delete some of my shows... I have 90GBs of Shows, and 5GB free space on my drive.

thanks to both of you, my husband says he doesnt know what I am talking about, when I mentioned the HD for a monitor, he said he was talking about a tv. I did a chat with Linksys after I posted this earlier after midnight and she told me I would want a WRT54Gx4 for all I do. But I dont want to spend that much on a router, since I have bought both a Linksys wired and wireless route in the last 8 months. There a recondition one at Tiger direct but I think I should just stick with the speedbooster G.

Finally got to hook up my new computer , Gateway GM5442, all I can say is Wow, what a computer. It came with a TV Tuner. I cant believe how awesome it is to watch tv on . We have Digital cable service in the livingroom and I only get cable in my office but with this I can be watching the X-files on Sci-Fi and if I missed a few minutes, I can go back and watch it again. Its like having TVo or something. I feel like I will be getting a extra cable service bill for getting to do more with my cable. Thanks again for all your help.

I did notice that the pc makes a lot of noises when it is doing anything, kind of sounds like a perculator . I never noticed my other computer sounding like that when switching from one program to the next , or to the internet.

What kind of noise is it? A whine, grinding, clicking, fans spinning up?

Glad you like it though.

it may just be a louder hardrive then your old one. Watch your hard drive activity light on the front of your case and see if it is blinking a lot or is solid while these noises happen

Sorry its taken me so long to answer back. Been working alot of overtime so I haven gotten to hook it up again. Going today to get a new monitor to use with it, so I will let you know later what the noise is again. Maybe it was just the first time turning it on.

Was wondering a few more things.
My son , while on leave, had a video card installed last yr in my old computer so he could play Oblivion, was thinking about having it switched to my new computer before giving the old pc to a friend, would that be a good idea ? Probably would have to take it somewhere to have it done.

Also would you suggestion putting in another fan /coolant in my new pc so it doesnt get hot , it stays on all the time.

Another fan is not necessary but never a bad idea. Unless you have it in an enclosed area then what is in the computer should be enough. If you were to change the video card in the computer that might make it so you cant watch tv on it. You may want to check that out

Back
Top Bottom