How to choose a motherboard?

disturbed13

Daemon Poster
okay i know nothing about motherboards, or how to choose one. so i was wondering if you all could help me. ill tell you what i would hope to completely build a pc out of, in otherwords a parts list
and i know that it will give everyone a great place to start
and i also know that i will have some questions when you post it
some on the tec specs some some other questions
so here is the part list
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 Ghz, 8 MB
RAM: Geil Black Dragon 8 GB 240 pin, 800 Mhz, DDR2
Hard Drive: Hitachi 1 TB, 7200 rpm, 3 Gb/s, 32 Mb cache
Video Card: BFG Tech GeForce 8800GTX
768 Mb ram, 626 MHz, 384 bit
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster SB0507
Disk Drives:
Samsung 18X DVD R/W w/ Lightscribe
Lite-on 52X CD R/W Black
Koutech 3.5” & Multicard Reader
Cases: Thermaltake Armor Series VA8003 Black Tower
NVIDIA SLI Certified Chassis
Power Supply:
Motherboard:
Monitor: Acer AL2016WBbd Black 20” LCD Widescreen
Keyboard & Mouse:
Saitek Black Wired Eclipse Keyboard
Logitech G3 Wired Laser Mouse
so what motherboard would be the best fit and why
also please post a link as to where i can find it online
thanks for all of your help

can anyone offer a suggestion or even a hint at where to go
or how to choose the correct motherboard?

All I know, find out what socket type your CPU is, and just find a motherboard on newegg.com that supports that socket type for your cpu. Make sure to get a good brand and stuff. And make sure it supports your type of memory, and video card.

All I know, find out what socket type your CPU is, and just find a motherboard on newegg.com that supports that socket type for your cpu. Make sure to get a good brand and stuff. And make sure it supports your type of memory, and video card.

how do i do that?
what do i look for?

Basically, your looking for a 775 processor socket motherboard, with 1333mhz support (The Quad core is 1033mhz, but 1333mhz will give you better support for future CPU's when it comes to an upgrade)

Your looking for one with a PCI-E express bus, for graphics, and possibly SLI support (though not a neccessity), if you will ever want to run 2 of those bad boys in 1 rig... (money anyone? :p)

Your looking for one with DDR2 support (There may be boards that support DDR2 and 3...it may be worth looking out for one, again, for future proofing)

Most boards also come with IDE (older but still used) and SATA/SATA 2 support, so hard drives/disk drives won't be an issue, and boards come with about 3 PCI slots, making network cards/sound cards compatable, etc.

Oh, and go for an ATX model to fit your case :)

What I would do is, find a couple you like the look of based on the specs above, and then look at a few reviews to see which performs better at tasks, and research that one more, and finally buy it.

You can pay tonnes for a motherboard, but cheap isn't always the worst option, but, to get the right one is very important.

Yes, I do for a fact know that the 680i A1 is great. Me and my 680i have a very... intimate... relationship.

Back
Top Bottom