keyboard problem/startup noise

wolverine04

Beta member
Hello all,

I have a Dell Inspiron 9200 Laptop that has all of a sudden decided to go haywire on me. When I start up I get a continuous serenade of beeping that I assume has something to do with a BIOS alarm (??) Then when I try to use my keyboard the "U" key doesn't work (I'm using an external keyboard right now), but it's just the "U" key. Furthermore, the same key will occasionally get a mind of it's own and all of a sudden go "uuuuuuuuuu" in whatever box my cursor happens to be in.

I had this exact same problem a little over a year ago but I can't remember what I did to fix the problem. I seem to remember taking the battery out of my computer and letting it sit over night, however I just took it out for an hour and put it back in and the problem wasn't fixed. I know it cant be serious because I fixed it before, I'm just wondering what is causing it to happen again (over a year later) and what exactly I can do to make it stop.

thank you!

do a virus scan and make sure nothing is messing it up...........also does the "U" key stick????maybe thats the problem?

the beeping is continuous short beeps. I thought if it was the cache memory it would be 11 beeps, but it is definitely more than that.

Yes, the U key does stick periodically, but also sometimes when I push the "I", it types "IU". Very strange. I took the battery out over night and it worked well for me most of the day yesterday but then started doing it again.

If I take the battery out for, say, more than 30 minutes and then put it back in and turn on my computer I won't hear the beeping, but eventually the "U" key will start malfunctioning once again.

I don't know anything about BIOS beeps.

okay, I attemped to count the beeps but there are way too many. it is about a series of 15-20, a brief pause and then 2 beeps, then another pause and a series of about 10 I believe. Keyboard still malfunctioning. I think it may have something to do with my CPU. any ideas at all? :(

Back
Top Bottom