Reformatting this newly aquired computer..

andrew505

Beta member
I've reformatted my old computer more than a few times, but luckily had the drivers. About 3 motnhs ago i got a computer from my dads office and i want to give it a reformat i don't have the specific drivers and it has caused a little bit of confusion when it comes to deciding what i actually need and don't need.

first off here is a little information about the computer

Processor: Pentium 4, 2.8
Motherboard: Asus P4s800
Chipset: Sis648
Ram: 512 DDR
Video Card: ati 9200 SE series (128mb)
Hardrive: 82mb maxtor
I'm running windows xp prof, sp2

the audio is integrated , it uses, (sis7012 audio codec) i think it is the (Soundmax Digital Audio)

ok so i know how to reformat my computer but what happens is i get lost around the motherboard/chipset. Do i need to download drivers for the motherboard or are those detected and installed by windows? and in that case i would need to download the drivers for the chipset? i went onto the Asus website and found the drivers for the motherboard and they are same files that are found on the website for the drivers for the Chipset. i am going to assume, that the drivers for both are the same? is a chipset just a way to further specify a specific motherboard? The other thing i saw was that the Utility drivers only work on Windows 2000, and that i needed to use SP1 to get the drivers (i assume it's just an older post and sp2 would be fine?). Is that how these usb ports would have to be installed? just running sp2? the drivers i was able to find on both sites, were individually listed (audio/utility/lan/ ,etc) should i just be downloading the newest versions of all of these? the other thing that threw me off was when i was searching for the specific audio driver (sis7012) i found this driver by doing a basic google search. the audio driver listed on Asus website is simply "Soundmax Digital Audio" are these the same driver? any help would be appreciated and i will gladly return the favor in some way. thanks a lot, anymore information needed just let me know, thanks!

yes all you need is the chipset dl its the same thing...........sp2 should work for you

if you have the motherboard chipst all you would need is the updated drivers because the board should have them already

lastly you would need to get the drivers from ati.

thanks very much, answered my question.
i did have one last question though, now that i am looking over the files on a 3rd party site, the chip set says something about a video driver? there is no integrated video on this card? any ideas?

u said you have a video card right?????so your not going to use the onboard video that comes with the board.............but ne ways that should be taken care of with the chipset.........just get the one for your video card.

sorry one thing im unsure of, do i need the AGP drivers? is that what allows me to have an external video card?

idk do you have agp or pci express?more then likely its agp if you got it from your dad no telling how old it is...................yes you look up the card by type and make go to ati website and get it

Back
Top Bottom