Is DDR memory really out of date?

nnajda

Solid State Member
I can afford some upgrades, and I'm getting an extra 2GB of DDR 400MHz ram, an HIS X1950 PRO 512MB, and just purchased a 500W PSU.

People are telling me I should get DDR2 ram, but if I do that, I'd have to change out the whole motherboard, which is more money, and I can't afford it, since I'd have to purchase a whole new motherboard, and DDR2 is more expensive than DDR right?

Actually DDR2 is cheaper , but depending upon what games you wanna play you should be fine .
One question though would you be adding that to your current ram to have 5GB cos i dunno if your mobo could handle that

Oh, no it currently has only 1GB of ram. I just put 3GB because I'm planning on the extra 2GB...still debating though. Can you recommend a good motherboard for me that supports the 3.2GHz Pentium 4? (preferably Asus or MSI or something) I'm still learning these things. :)

P.S- Does a cpu being a "Prescott" or whatever the other 3.2GHz cpus are called make a difference in what mobo to choose? Or as long as the mobo supports 3.2GHz processor, it doesn't matter, any will work?

Well if you are going to be buying this i would consider buying dual core parts instead if you havent already got a motherboard and cpu .
As for Socket 478boards i wouldn know cos they arent made any more and i am using dual core

Crap...I can't afford all that, new cpu, new mobo= ddr2 ram, pci gpu which is more expensive than agp...man :(

Crap...I can't afford all that, new cpu, new mobo= ddr2 ram, pci gpu which is more expensive than agp...man :(

Do what i did ,
I bought a new mobo cpu and ram , then i am adding more ram thena new gpu ,
I got a faxconn board
1GB ddr2 ram
Amd athlon X2 4000+
all for £100 or $200 but stuff is cheaper in the us anyway so look around
you may be suprized at the price of the AMD athlon X2 range , and it is still a pretty capable cpu for the price

Well i am UK so i bought from aria pc but they dont ship over to the US the only US site i now of is newegg pretty much every US member here uses them i think and cos stuff costs less over there you are looking at less than $200 for what i got , for $200 you may be able to get 2gb ram
http://www.newegg.com/
Here is the CPU i have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103774
I jmped from a 2.8ghz Pent 4 to this and the speed difference was astonishing
I just wanna add dual core dosent have to break the bank with theese things , and some people have climaed an OC to 3ghz which would make it even more value for money

NewEgg.com is a rather popular, quite cheap site. My friend built an entire gaming system (Case, DDR2 RAM, Dual SLI PCI-E Video Cards, Dual Core-compatible MOBO, A water-based cooling system, Intel duo dual core processor, and a sexy monitor) for 3k at NewEgg. That's one hell of a deal if you ask me.

EDIT: I did not post this to repeat what muz said. If you look, it was posted at exactly the same time as his XD

Back
Top Bottom