3000 w/e MB of RAM, usable 2500 MB...???

Chinny4290

Baseband Member
Hey guys. I have just recently installed some new RAM.

I originally had a dual channel 1 GB (2x 512MB) setup going and now I added a 2 GB (2x 1GB) dual channel set.

When I installed it, I moved the 1GB set to the secondary channels and I put the 2GB set in the primary channels. So essentially I'm running quad-channel.

But it only says I have 2.5 Gigs of RAM available in Windows.

BIOS says I have 3024 MB installed and only 2500 or what not MB usable.

How come I'm not getting 3?

Help!

Hey guys. I have just recently installed some new RAM.

I originally had a dual channel 1 GB (2x 512MB) setup going and now I added a 2 GB (2x 1GB) dual channel set.

When I installed it, I moved the 1GB set to the secondary channels and I put the 2GB set in the primary channels. So essentially I'm running quad-channel.

But it only says I have 2.5 Gigs of RAM available in Windows.

BIOS says I have 3024 MB installed and only 2500 or what not MB usable.

How come I'm not getting 3?

Help!

First off, your using a 32 bit operating system right?

Modern computers are limited to 4GB of memory addressing space. Such things as video ram are counted in this. Also, the addressing space alot of add on devices (sound, network, IDE, etc) also contribute to the addressing space.

When you run out of addressing space, you cannot use all of your ram.

First off, your using a 32 bit operating system right?

Modern computers are limited to 4GB of memory addressing space. Such things as video ram are counted in this. Also, the addressing space alot of add on devices (sound, network, IDE, etc) also contribute to the addressing space.

When you run out of addressing space, you cannot use all of your ram.

What can I do to change that?

I am using WIndows 32 bit.

I have 2x eVGA GeForce 256MB 6800GSs in SLi, so I guess that contributes.

But I am using only 3 GB of RAM total, 1 GB of video RAM.

If it says I'm using 2.5 GB of RAM, 1 GB of video RAM...where did the other .5 RAM go when subtracting the difference from my total memory to my "addressing space?"

Back
Top Bottom