laptop not connecting to network

Rubber314Chicken

Golden Master
my dad's laptop will not connect to our network. My sister's mac book is connecting, and working fine.

here is all the info:
  • xp pro
  • windows says it is connected, but pining the router times out
  • I've tried ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew gives me an error that it can't renew becuase the router isn't there or something like that
  • internet explorer gives me page not found
  • firefox gives me server not found
  • connection is fine according to windows.

I've hit a dead end. any ideas?

Try setting up a network, if there isn't one, and join it.
This isn't the problem in most cases but it might be. And if you have ever messed with a program like ZoneAlarm or BlackIcedefend then make sure to turn it on to allow the network.

My computer crashed and I reinstalled everything on it, but I couldn't get somethings to work. I installed zone alarm because I've used it before the previous crash and I was able to do things.. like bridge and use my printer. Once you allow something on ZoneAlarm you can exit the program and never start it again if you want :p

Have you checked you have typed in the right network key to allow his computer to join the network, its probably the routers network encryption that blocking him, either WEP OR WPA
When he turns the laptop on does his computer detect the network?

Is it Intergrated wireless or a USB Wifi adaptor,or a PCMCIA Card?

Also did the wireless hardware come with any software? If i try connecting to a network without the Acer program (On my laptop,being an Acer Wireless PCMCIA Card) running,it does the same thing that you are describing.

i doubt its mac filtering or encryption, as they usually stop at the "obtaining an ip address" bit.
is the laptop set to obtain the ip and stuff automatically?
if not there may be settings in there which the router does not like.
i mean i can enter a load of settings and a random wep or wpa key and it thinks i am connected to any random network i try, although im actually not it just says that.

Back
Top Bottom