What to get

Celegorm

Site Team
Staff member
Sorry there have been a few of these going up here, but I'm at a loss as for what to upgrade. Everything I'm looking at is no more than $120 for me at my work so it's not all that bad in price. Now, I just need help in what to get.

1) Buffalo FireStix. I run vista, and bringing me up to for gigs total would be nice. I have one of the 2GB DDR2-800 kits in my rig already, and I'm looking at making it 4 sticks of this wonderful stuff. I am fine with what I have, but I know the extra 2 gigs would make a huge difference.

2) Segate Sata II 320GB HDD (Perpendicular recording) I'm constantly recording TV on my computer and I want to keep everything, but because of the quality (normal, nothing high but it still looks great) it takes up 1.5 gigs per 30 minutes. Needless to say, i'm running out of space, but I can delete some if I get one of the other choices.

3)Second moniter for a dual display. Haven't picked out which one yet. Maybe another one like I have, or a 19" acer. This one is more of a will help a lot but not a true nessesity. I've used Dual-displays before and I love it, so running one at home would be nice.

What do you guys think?

This is harder than my choice on what to buy ,Get the monitor cos you know how nice a dual monitor setup would be and the other two arent a necesity

dont get the ram, even when i game i have never gone above 80% ram usage in XP, so another 2 gigs isnt going to help that much YET. it will become standard to have 4gigs and DDR2 ram is always getting cheaper so you can wait till they get dirt cheap :)

i say get a raptor to put all your games on, than youll free up room on your main HDD and youll get faster load times :D

Ok, it goes like this...

Your computer is running perfectly fine with out that second gig, so no worries about that.

The space issue you said could be delt with.

And you want dual monitors, i'm assuming for you're recording it would be awesome to have.

But with a second monnitor it could increase productivity so then you loose more space faster on your hard drive which you are loosing room on.

If I were you you should get a 1TB external drive, but thats close to 300 dollars even wholesale at costco.

IMO dual monitors would be the best. Because it helps in what you do, and you can delete things that you don't watch untill you get the money for a bigger hard drive.

IF the space is thar much of an issue burn programs to be watched onto DVD's
Also what size is your current hard drive ?
i say get a raptor to put all your games on, than youll free up room on your main HDD and youll get faster load times :D
Personaly i say dont get a raptor , they are going to be one of the last things i add to my rig if i have nothing else to buy cos for the price you pay the performance increase isnt worth it IMO

If I had $120 I'd buy myself a new distortion pedal:p

=|Edit|=

But I say go for the monitor dude;) either that or the RAM:D

dont get the ram, even when i game i have never gone above 80% ram usage in XP, so another 2 gigs isnt going to help that much YET.

But I'm using vista, and I know i'm just about using all of my 2 gigs while gaming.

Thanks for the opinions so far guys.

@ Muz, I currently have a 250 GB. After writing this, I deleted 40 shows I went from 84.4 gigs free to 169 GB.

Wow you have a really tough choice there! 4gigs is really nice in Vista makes vista work really well. 2 monitors are really nice you can setup one for your primary then watch tv on the second. Of course you could use the extra space to record more shows.

I'd say get the second monitor first. You love it for convience when flipping browsers and running apps. Plus its so much nicer to just put the vista sidebar on the second monitor.

Second i'd get the 2nd set of ram I only say go with the monitor first because you have 2 gigs now so its good to run Vista its just a little better with 4 gigs.

3rd get the harddrive cause you can always burn some of your current saved stuff to DVD then erase it. When you get the first 2 get the drive for some added convience.

But I'm using vista, and I know i'm just about using all of my 2 gigs while gaming.

Thanks for the opinions so far guys.

@ Muz, I currently have a 250 GB. After writing this, I deleted 40 shows I went from 84.4 gigs free to 169 GB.

Get a second monitor its not like you are desperate for space so you can get a new hard drive later . if it wher eme i would have this
1ST choice , new monitor
2ND choice the ram
3RD choice a new HD

Back
Top Bottom