775 heatsink fitting

I bought a kit yeah.

Last night, or should I say, this morning, I finished installing Windows, and finished installing drivers. Device manager shows no errors, RAID 1 seems to be working fine, and CPU temp this morning is 25 degrees C idle (Its quieter than this old PC)

The X-fi chip even though I haven't tested it much has impressed me so far, and I haven't had a chance to test the graphics cards power yet. I shall do that after work :D

I even connected the Internet for a split second, and it configured automatically, and loaded the default msn page before I disconnected.

What impresses me the most though is how fast the damn thing loads. Its loaded whatever you've clicked on in a split second.

So, all seems to be well :) Thanks all of you for the help in getting this sorted!

You know where i am when u start getting x-fi faults and bugs ;) Wonder if the mobo is busted if the ram wouldnt work in the other 2 slots.

You know where i am when u start getting x-fi faults and bugs ;) Wonder if the mobo is busted if the ram wouldnt work in the other 2 slots.

Thats a good point there. My asus board ended up having that problem after I fried a stick. Took it to a computer shop because it was hot as hell and didn't feel like doing it. After they tested it they said it was a bad stick. So I got my board back with the one good stick and quickly ordered 4 new sticks. Still gotta rma the old ones but anyways after I got the new memory and installed it only saw 1 stick of memory.

Thinking to myself WTF? So I put the old one good stick in and try it in each dimm slot. Ya guess what 1 of my 4 dimm slots actually worked. The rest just gave bios errors.

Definately rma the board if you can't get it working in certain slots something isn't right.

Might not have been the slots, but I think somethings iffy with the memory.

It was working fine last night, and even this morning.

I turned it on after work, and decided to go into the BIOS to check things. All well and good, so i exited. It reset, and suddenly (even though the RAM is set to automiatcally configure) it set itself to 816mhz, not 800, and wouldn't boot into Windows. Came up with a corrupted Windows file.

Anyhow, I took the sticks out, and put them back in again, and started it up. Clocks were fine again, and Windows booted.

Shame, it is now having to rebuild the RAID in Windows though :(

I guess I just shouldn't enter the BIOS...

If I could find out the right timings though to set it myself, I guess I wouldn't have the problem with the RAM being overclocked without me doing anything.
I know its 4,4,4,12, but thats about it

The timings dont affect the speedof the ram in mhz though do they. They only affect how fast it refreshes. THere is somthing dodgy going on either with ur mobo or ram ,make sure the ram edges are clean, try using an eraser on the gold edges to remove dirt and finger prints, and make sure there isnt anything in the mobo slots for the ram. Rather than leave it id rma the ram and the mobo just in case, unless u can prove which one is malfunctioning.

aArrgghhh why it keeps setting to 816mhz, I don't know :(
I fixed it before by reseating the RAM, yet, its done it again.

Its stupid that I can't enter the BIOS without it messing up.

Plus, I tried setting the DRAM clocks to 4,4,4,12 and got a BIOS error and wouldn't boot.

Oh I love this computer...not!

if I do have to RMA, that'll be horrible :(

Well sounds like something is fubar'd, to save energy, time and annoyance, might be best to give in , rma and get some nice new working bits, i know its crap i hate RMA'ing stuff but something is weird on that rig.

Well this is an image of it on. Don't mind the wires on the desk. I'm yet to clean them up:

mynewpc.jpg

:(

I knew something was going to go wrong. I never get working parts the first time. My phone was broke when I first got it, my Xbox 360 was faulty when I first got it, a pwoer supplys been faulty, a dvd drives been faulty, etc.
Oh and my speakers don't work...haha (thats why they aren't on in the pic)

I should be used to it by now

Yeah something definatly isnt working properly . by chance is the cmos battery dead and have you tried resetting the bios as they can sometimes work . also if the mobo has 4 ram slots try different combinations and try with one stick and both sticks in pretty much every available combo
yeah i hate rma ing but its got to be done , luckily i have onl had the pleasure of rmaing little things like hard drives and ram nothing big like a mobo .

Back
Top Bottom