Infinite Rebooting

Methost

In Runtime
Today, my 6600GT died. I turned on my PC and got the motherboards voice warning that I had an AGP error. I checked and sure enough, my GPU was dead. So I went and got a new 8500GT and installed it. Now the voice warning is gone, but my pc does an infinite reboot. It just shows that my new GPU is 512mb, then shows the motherboard splash screen for about half a second .. then restarts. I cant even get in to BIOS or safe mode. Now I guess my options are to return the video card in hopes that I just got a bad one or try a new power supply. I have a 450w and the card calls for a 300w ... so I should be good there. I guess there could be a motherboard problem as well. Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

Asus A8N SLI Delux
AMD 3500
2 gb ram
450w Ultra PSU
Windows XP

I had that problem with my other computer. It just kept restarting. I had to replace the PSU. But the Psu was onl 135W lol and the system needed at least 300W So the psu was getting alot of strain on it. so it went.

I would try another PSU.

People often only read the wattage requirements, but then forget the 12v railing needs. What does this card need for the 12v railing, and what does ur psu supply? my card used to crash because the 12v railing was too low, fixed it by upgrading psu.

I never get to a windows screen on boot. Just the motherboard screen.

The card only calls for a 300w ... doesnt say anything about railing.

Google is ur friend... lol it needs a MIN of 18amps on the 12v railing, so id go with 20-22 to be safe, what does ur psu supply? also if ur card died, its a chance that it took something else with it, or the psu is the reason why it died..

Don't know how many amps my current Ultra PSU Supplies. I'll get in there today and tear everything out.

I have an Ultra X-connect 500w and if I am reading this right ... 34A on the 12V rail. Having said that, it's a 20 pin and I am using an ultra conversion cable to connect to by 24 pin motherboard. I don't know if that would make a difference or not. The PSU seemed to be working fine before my old GPU died.

Back
Top Bottom