Americans in Europe

PCNoob2

Daemon Poster
Hey my brother is going to spend a semester over in England and France this coming school year studying history and french so my mom is worried that itll be rough for him because of the anti-american sentiment that seems to be the trend over there.

from what ive heard, people over there may dislike the policies of America but they'll treat everyone in a friendly way. Then again, ive heard stories about restaurants and shops turning away Americans just because theyre american and of people being extremely rude to them for the same reason.

I would imagine if there are any hard feelings itd be worse in France.

Personally, I dont think he'll have too much trouble but what do you guys think?

First of all, your mother is very wrong about the "trend" in anti-American sentiment. I have lived in the United Kingdom all of my life and have seen basically no incidents of this sort of behaviour whatsoever.

In Europe, the French hate everyone and everyone hates the French, as simple as that. They are just a group of arrogant, rude, ignorant fools who, for some reason, think their country is the world's greatest at everything. If your brother has any issues during his travels they will most likely be concentrated in France.

Your brother will most likely be completely fine in the UK providing he is courteous, has his wits about him, not rude to the local populace he may meet, and is prepared to accept that things here are done very differently to the US and not to get all arsey when he finds something is different. There is also a slight language barrier in that we use some words and spellings differently.

If you get anyone purposely picking on Americans, they are ignorant and do not represent the British population as a whole.

Whereabouts in the UK is your brother going to be visiting?

In Europe, the French hate everyone and everyone hates the French, as simple as that.

Thats true ;)

The uk has nothing against america - more the opposite. We have become very americanised over here, when you turn on the tv you will find MTV, abc etc, you go to the cinema and they are all films from the US, alot of the music we listen to is from the US, in the street you will find subway, mcdonalds just as you do in the US.

I hate bush... wait that sounds wrong ;) but i have a few American friends and most of them hate bush as well lol. To be honest where ever u go u will get minorities of people hating other people, its human nature. But im sure he will be fine! I mean i dont like the british government either and im not mean to other brits.

He'll have a great time!, although when i was in France they were very arrogant and seemed to hate the brits, no idea how they are with you guys.

First of all, your mother is very wrong about the "trend" in anti-American sentiment. I have lived in the United Kingdom all of my life and have seen basically no incidents of this sort of behaviour whatsoever.

In Europe, the French hate everyone and everyone hates the French, as simple as that. They are just a group of arrogant, rude, ignorant fools who, for some reason, think their country is the world's greatest at everything. If your brother has any issues during his travels they will most likely be concentrated in France.

Your brother will most likely be completely fine in the UK providing he is courteous, has his wits about him, not rude to the local populace he may meet, and is prepared to accept that things here are done very differently to the US and not to get all arsey when he finds something is different. There is also a slight language barrier in that we use some words and spellings differently.

If you get anyone purposely picking on Americans, they are ignorant and do not represent the British population as a whole.

Whereabouts in the UK is your brother going to be visiting?
hes going to be staying at a dorm at oxford i think. the university my brother goes to (and many others) have this program where you can spend a semester abroad and get credit for it. so he could have gone to a lot of different places to study but he chose england and oxford happens to be in on the program. so he can stay there and any oxford students can stay at any university when they come here.

yeah, so i dont think he'll have a problem. He's smart, polite, and hes read all about english history and culture in general i think.

i kind of envy him because hes going to be seeing all the old castles and stuff. thats one thing we dont have in America lol. :p

Parisiens dislike 'loud' americans but most are welcomed with open arms. The younger generation dress in US gear, listen to US music, eat US fast food etc - then bitch about the US. 90% of Americans i know here hate Bush. The French always joke about hating the English and the English always go on about the French, but i am lucky - i am Scottish :) , the Scots only bitch about the English and crap football teams. The rest of France bitches about Paris. Paris bitches about the French 'country bumpkins'.
The French have amazing food, unbelievably great wine...and the worlds worst table service.
Go to the Normandy coast or the Somme, and you will see the most fervant US supporters around....somethings are not forgotten.

What a world to live in.

Bonjournée mes amis,
Paris, signing out.
Dan

I have been france a couple times now. Once to Disney Land paris and once with School and They are nice most of the time but they can get rude.... The worst thing that happened was when I went with school there was germans there threatening to kill us, you know doing, the thumb throat thing and showing knife to us from the window, but that was the last day and we were going thank god. I didn't want us to be fighting lol.

Overall France is nice but UK is much nicer and people will be much nicer to you. As long as you are nice to them. Not many Hate American, some may dislike Americans but thats the very small part of the population im talking about a tiny part. Most like Americans and Love it when they visit. Nobody gets turned away in restaurants, I've never seen that happen mate.

I see your staying not that far away from me. :)

One thing there will always be is hate between France and UK... Some people don't even know why to hate each other, they just do it because it's what they know.

One of the most common hates I know of has to be England and Germany. For me england and Germany hate each other more than France and UK.

Back
Top Bottom