I need your oppinions

syko670

Beta member
First of all..... wait... did i spell oppinions wrong? yeh probably :D . Anywayz, I just bought a new computer (by components) here are the parts I got:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 6000+
Asus Motherboard M2N-SLI-Deluxe; DDR2 800, 2xPCI-E, Dual GB Lan, firewire, fairly good onboard 5.1 sound etc.
2 gigs of Kingston Ram (DDR2 800)
Coolmaster 600W PSU
500GB 3.4" SATA-II Western Digital HD
and an external HDD enclosure IDE - USB 2.0 (soooo cool, didn't even know they existed)

My problem is that (incase you didn't notice) I didn't buy a GPU, I had good reason...... Too damned expensive on top of a brand new comp. Anyway, i had a friend lend me his old ATI X850 and now ofcourse (now that bioshock is out) i NEEEEEEEED a new GPU.. I am in Australia, and it seems at the moment the best ATI GPU i can get is a HD2900 512 meg. And ofcourse the best Nvidia is an 8800 GTX Ultra (can't afford that tho).

Main problem is i'm trying to decide weather to go the HD2900 or a less expensive Nvidia like a 8800 GTS (both around the same price-ish) Keeping in mind that i wanna play the newest games such as Bioshock and Crysis (when it comes out).

I have been checking on tomshardware.com the comparison, seems the Nvidia beats the Ati on pretty much everything. My last card was an Nvidia GeForce FX5200 (got talked into it by a friend) so basicly, a few months after i got that card, i couldn't run stuff on high settings etc and it just snowballed from there.

Any input/suggestions would be Much appreciated :confused:

OOH and also I wouldn't have posted this thread If i found a current comparison thread allready (gpu's get updated pretty damned often)

Nice pc mate :) dont ruin it by ur choice of gpu lol, id get the 8800 GTS personally, thats only cos i havent had an ATI since the late 90's so i know nada about them, but that shud play bio shock, lost planet etc on high/maxed out.

8800GTS would be the right one for you. Either one is fine, though the 640mb version of course is a little better.

Thanks Neodude, thats a cool site.. unfortunately I live in WA so the extra cost of getting stuff sent here makes the cards about $10 more expensive then shops here :p but scorptec DO have very good prices.

And a big thanks to you other guys, i realize that i shouldn't descriminate against a particular brand of card, simply treat them all the same and go for whats actually better. Gonna go the 8800 GTS. Thanks again for ya input.

On another topic alltogether, www.djhyp.com is my website (you can download some of my free mixes from there) ranging from house/breaks to dnb/hardcore to dance/trance. Catch ya

8800 gts is all you need. i would buy the 640 and just boost it from there if you want (tho it should not be needed).

Back
Top Bottom