Why Soldiers need Body armour

that would have easily killed him if the sniper wasn't a noob. he should have gone for the head shot, as the guy wasn't moving at all when he made the shot.

nope. It's pretty much 7.62 only. Marine corps uses the m40a3, army uses the m24. Both 7.62

.50 cal is quite rare. It wasn't designed to be used against people in the first place, though it works well against people too. But I'd imagine that everyone would choose the m40a3 or the m24 over the barret m82 unless they really need the power of the .50 cal.

As far as I know the m82 is used almost exclusively by special forces. (in the US forces)

Us Canadians use the M82 as an anti-personell weapon :D

I think we have the longest kill on record with one?

"The current world record for the longest range sniper kill is 2,430 meters (7,972 feet), accomplished by a Canadian sniper, Corporal Rob Furlong, of the third battalion Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (3 PPCLI), during the invasion of Afghanistan, using a .50 BMG (12.7mm) McMillan TAC-50 bolt-action rifle. This meant that the bullet had a flight time of ≈ 4.5 seconds, and a drophttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trajectory_of_a_projectile#Height_at_x of ≈ 70 meters (230 feet)."

that would have easily killed him if the sniper wasn't a noob. he should have gone for the head shot, as the guy wasn't moving at all when he made the shot.

you hit a guys head from several 100 yards away, than see who is talking, its not lining up the cross hair and shooting dude, you have to find the distance to the target, calculated bullet drop, and rather our not the air will cause the bullet to raise, factor in wind, THAN you can shoot;)

you hit a guys head from several 100 yards away, than see who is talking, its not lining up the cross hair and shooting dude, you have to find the distance to the target, calculated bullet drop, and rather our not the air will cause the bullet to raise, factor in wind, THAN you can shoot;)

I've hit a three-inch (roughly the size of a head) diameter target at 200 yards with my deer hunting rifle. If I can do it, a sniper with their skills can do it too.

well first of all it's 7.62x51.
And not "some of your snipers", but probably around 95% of your snipers.

And as for the head or chest, I've heard that the modern standart is to aim for the chest. Larger area to hit, and the bullets are pretty deadly so the chance for a kill is huge.

ohh and rudster, don't you never ever quote future weapons if you want to sound like a guy who actually knows something about weapons.

edit: ohh and I don't think we are hijacking this thread, in the beginning this was about body armor and snipers, and now we are talking pretty much about the same thing.

I know the british armed police are trained to aim for the torso as it is the largest target however that is in close quarters so aiming for the head and missing could hit an innocent civilian and sometimes they need to take down a moving target and they use MP5's or a glock 17 and i doubt they face that many suspects wearing armour
I dunno what the army are trained to aim for It would make sense if it was the head because you can gurantee a killshot cos if they are wearing body armour they arent gonna be killed and may have a chance to escape

I've hit a three-inch (roughly the size of a head) diameter target at 200 yards with my deer hunting rifle. If I can do it, a sniper with their skills can do it too.

they are untrained, they train themselves, and when its a person its harder, they can move at any second and when you face being killed afterwards it really makes a difference;)

they are untrained, they train themselves, and when its a person its harder, they can move at any second and when you face being killed afterwards it really makes a difference;)

I hope your not saying our Army is untrained. Because the sniper school is hard, and boy do they train for it.

I think we have the longest kill on record with one?

yeah, but as the text you quoted said it was a tac-50, not a m82.
And he even missed the first shot. :p

And rudster, those things don't really have an effect at shorter ranges. Sure they move the bullet a little but if your scope is adjusted for the right distance you don't need to start adjusting it again for wind speed etc. The effect is so minimal it won't make a difference.
That kind of stuff is for long range shots. (I'd say 600m+)

It not about being trained or not. Its about having a gun sighted in for the range your shooting. If you guns not sighted in you can aim for the head and shoot them in the foot if your targeted in for 500 yards and your shooting a person 900 yards away.

Wind might not make to much a difference at extremly close range but a small cross wind is going to effect the trajectory at more than 100yards. It may be small but think about how small someones head is.

And for the quoted stuff on the history channel. I'd say its safe to say its accurate. God I love the history channel.

Back
Top Bottom