Why Soldiers need Body armour

Not as much as as a bullet woul though

nah it probably hurts more than the bullet would. In the end the bullet just goes through you and it's already out of you before you even notice it. Of course it hurts like hell, but getting a bullet to the body armor is pretty much the same as someone hitting you to the chest with a hammer.

But anyway, I'm pretty sure the amount of pain it causes doesn't really bother anyone, it's there to save their lives, not to make their lives comfortable.

and mongoman, don't worry, you didn't offend me in any way. :)

Yeah, I mean.... It wasn't really the armor that saved him, just the inexperience of the sniper.

What I am wondering is how they got that video..?

huh?! a common mistake of the sniper IS to aim for the head, you NEVER EVER aim for the head in the military, your chances of hitting arm greatly reduced than by just aiming for the just as deadly chest.

i saw that on TV once, it was on future weapons when they were showing off dragonskin i think.

and yes every soilder wears body armor unless they dont want too, which may sound insane but weighs 15 lb. with the plate that saved that guys life;) i also belive you can get pelvis armor(for your all important crotch area ;)) and thigh armor for you palemora artery.

huh?! a common mistake of the sniper IS to aim for the head, you NEVER EVER aim for the head in the military, your chances of hitting arm greatly reduced than by just aiming for the just as deadly chest.

You clearly don't know our US sniper core. Head shots are the only way to guarantee that your target goes down in one shot, and our snipers have the skill and training to do it. If they can, they go for it. Cuz if the body doesn't take the guy down, they are in serious trouble.

i probably know it better than you, because the chest is just as deadly, youll either hit the hear, a major artery or vain, punture a lung, and most likely a combo of all this, and our sniper rifles can go right through any current body armor to date,

the army will never teach you to aim for the head NEVER EVER EVER, there is no faint of proof that they do.

i probably know it better than you, because the chest is just as deadly, youll either hit the hear, a major artery or vain, punture a lung, and most likely a combo of all this, and our sniper rifles can go right through any current body armor to date,

the army will never teach you to aim for the head NEVER EVER EVER, there is no faint of proof that they do.

History channel baby. THey went through sniper school. They were told to go for the head. Plus you can still miss a major organ when going for the chest, but even if you hit one, they may not go down right away.

But some of our snipers use the 7.62x5.38 round, which is stopped by our body amour.

I have history channel behind me, where is your proof that they say not too? If you find any, PM it to me. Lets not hijack this any more.

But some of our snipers use the 7.62x5.38 round, which is stopped by our body amour.

well first of all it's 7.62x51.
And not "some of your snipers", but probably around 95% of your snipers.

And as for the head or chest, I've heard that the modern standart is to aim for the chest. Larger area to hit, and the bullets are pretty deadly so the chance for a kill is huge.

ohh and rudster, don't you never ever quote future weapons if you want to sound like a guy who actually knows something about weapons.

edit: ohh and I don't think we are hijacking this thread, in the beginning this was about body armor and snipers, and now we are talking pretty much about the same thing.

Head shots are the only way to guarantee that your target goes down in one shot.
nice advice for the iraqi snipers!
anyway, its clever stuff that the american army use that way to protect it soldiers, but as my friend said ¨celegorm¨ the head is right place for the death.

well first of all it's 7.62x51.
And not "some of your snipers", but probably around 95% of your snipers.

And as for the head or chest, I've heard that the modern standart is to aim for the chest. Larger area to hit, and the bullets are pretty deadly so the chance for a kill is huge.

ohh and rudster, don't you never ever quote future weapons if you want to sound like a guy who actually knows something about weapons.

edit: ohh and I don't think we are hijacking this thread, in the beginning this was about body armor and snipers, and now we are talking pretty much about the same thing.

i never quote tv shows when talking about the military unless its fairly old like in the 60's, i was just saying thats were i think i saw that clip.

i say its about 75-25 between the 7.62 and and the .50, depends on the mission though, recon only(most cases) its the 7.62, and for kill missions its .50.

i say its about 75-25 between the 7.62 and and the .50, depends on the mission though, recon only(most cases) its the 7.62, and for kill missions its .50.

nope. It's pretty much 7.62 only. Marine corps uses the m40a3, army uses the m24. Both 7.62

.50 cal is quite rare. It wasn't designed to be used against people in the first place, though it works well against people too. But I'd imagine that everyone would choose the m40a3 or the m24 over the barret m82 unless they really need the power of the .50 cal.

As far as I know the m82 is used almost exclusively by special forces. (in the US forces)

Or we could just get our soldiers out of Iraq instead of having to risk using body armor to save soldiers lives.

The USMC uses the M40A3. The US Army uses the M24 for general sniping.

The M82 Barrett is rarely used against personnel since it's an anti-material weapon. It's designed to shoot through engine blocks or lightly armored vehicles and even helicopters, though it is possible to kill people with it (overkill though).

The M82 is used by the US Military in general. Even the Coast Guard uses them for drug interdictions. Hell, the NYPD uses it when they need to take down a vehicle, though I doubt that happens very often.

Back
Top Bottom