Broadband Topic (Please Read)

furlong86

Baseband Member
i currently have free 2mb broadband from ntl/virgin media!,but a while back i was on the high rate line but my folks wanted it downgraded as they never use the fcukin thing so it was understandable!,so out came the broadband guy and changed over the cable modem to a lower speed one!,but the guy forgot to take the old modem away!,so i put the old modem back in there to see weather it would work!,everything syncd up ok and i thought yes happy days!,but i couldnt get onto any sites ffs!,i could ping sites via the dos command ok though! which i thought was strange cause if the MAC address from the cable modem was turned off then there was no way for the modem to send any data!,but it is!,checked the modem config page and its syncing up to 10mb,would love to get this to work,any ideas?

Is this a firewall on your own pc that is blocking your web browser from loading pages

Your isp prob has the mac address of the new router registered in there system, so when you put the old one in the mac addresses didn't match meaning no internet. But since the computer could detect when you put the old router in, you would still be able to ping it.

The ISP can detect what speed you are registered with and limit the line accordingly so u wont be able to receive anything other than 2mb anyway, im sure of it. Also i think they have replaced the 10mb version of the broadband with a 20mb version.

Back
Top Bottom