CPU Max Temperatures

ummm i see that there is no list for AMD X2s does everyone hate them this much
I would love to no wat the max temps are on the X2s

I have had my E6600 @ 67C max before. It ran fine. Core2duo's don't start throttling until 85C. I'd say keep it under 70C under extreme stress testing. Granted if your hitting 70C in Prime95 or Orthos your max you'll ever hit gaming would probally be around 62-65C which is fine.

Also its pretty pointless to talk about cpu idle temps without talking about the ambient temps. A good way to determine if your sensor is off or if someone is full of it with there temp claims are simple. Ask what the ambient room temp is because its not possible for a air cooling setup to have a idle temperature lower than a room ambient temp.

Right now my core2duo is idling at 41C but its also 90F so my setup is running roughly 9C over my ambient room temp. I'd say its pretty accurate cause at night when the ambient temps are around 70F my CPU idles around 33C or around 13C over room ambient.

Just out of curiosity I decided to run a game at the clocks that yield me a 67C in a hardcore torture test. I ran BF2142 with all settings maxed with 8xAA. It used rougly 1gig of ram with spikes around 1.2gigs and a minimum of 900megs. Highest temp spike after gaming 45 mins was 51C. Average @ 48.9C So you can see a game is never going to increase temps as much as something like orthos will. Granted the game does not tax the cpu 100%. Average usage was 46.1% on core1 and core0 70.1%.

Don't get me wrong orthos is great but people doing 4+ hrs of it to prove your overclock is stable is just dumb IMO. I'd say if you can pass 45mins-1hr your cpu is stable. No sense running the temps up towards killzone any longer than you have to.

Ok, the list on the first page are now updated. Updates include thermal specs for AMD Athlon 64 X2, Athlon X2, and Intel Core 2 Quad. If you want a specific CPU temp, just PM me or post here. Give me the exact model number, stock speed, socket, process. That should do. As I get new posts, I'll just keep adding to the list. I want this to be the best list ever so eveyone can just glance here instead of going elsewhere. I'll try to make it as extensive as possible. It will be my special little stickie that I can customize (sort of like moderating it).

So what happens when we reach those temps?
Usually the computer will just shut itself down to prevent any damage to your hardware. You don't want to be constantly near those temperatures though because it'll severely reduce the life of your processor.

Back
Top Bottom