Accessing Computer for Data Without Needing Monitor/Accessories?

karling07

Daemon Poster
Hi everyone! I'm going to college and I have a brand new laptop with Vista. I have a desktop PC (Vista) with four 80GB SATA hard drives in it, filled with music and videos. Is there a way I can hook up my laptop to the desktop simply to access files on those internal hard drives?

I dont want to have to bring the monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc to access all of the stuff, plus I wanna be able to watch the movies on my laptop screen

I dont know if I might need a network cable for it, but keep in mind i need to still connect to the internet through my lan port on my laptop

Thanks!

Most computers will run without a keyboard or mouse or monitor. Simply enable "Halt on: No errors" in the bios.

Right, but how can I access the files in the computer? I dont wanna hook them both up to the network and share the files, I want to have it almost as a data drive...

Do you want to be able to access it no matter where you are?

If so, sites like www.logmein.com can help you access your computer as long as it has an active internet connection.

If you just wanna access the files the best way would be to just get an external USB enclosure and take the hard drive out of he desktop and put it in thye enclosure , then it would be an external hard drive

Back
Top Bottom