Ram speed?

muz

Golden Master
Ok so here is the problem .My ram is DDR2 800Mhz i know that for sure . The brand is elixer. Basically in CPUz it is reported as 350Mhz but with the fox one tool that came with my motherboard it reports it as 800Mhz , what is going on here
Is this just because i am not running the memory in dual channel mode or is it something to do with the timings
The rest of the specs are
Foxconn K8M890M2MB
Amd athlon X2 4000+
heres a screenie
screenie-1.jpg

at defualt my ram ran at like 380ish mhz, the reason being is because amd decided it would be cool to use the cpu clock to calculate the ram speed rather than the FSB :confused: dont know why but thats the way it is, theres no way to just bump it up to 800 w\o ocing, ive tried.

EDIT
oh and did you get the brisbane or windsor?

Well for starters, switch it to dual channel.
Then go into the BIOS, and make sure the motherboard read all the settings correctly. If anything is off, set it to how it's supposed to be.

Also, it could be that your processor is bottlenecking your RAM. Try overclocking it.

Another question cos i know you have an X2
when i run speed fan it says the core temperature is like 12c but the cpu temp is like 22 which one should i not let get above 70 the core or the cpu

the cpu temp itself, i doubt the temps are that low though, might be but ive always heard of AMD's stock fans being just the bare minimum, but hey what do you know maybe there trying to say "intel's fans are suck buy AMD" :p ive never used a stock fan though.

also it shouldnt go above 60 but dont let it go above 70. you should get orthos or prime and see how hot it gets under load.

EDIT
@freestyler, he has just 1 stick of ram ;) he is waiting to get the 2nd

the cpu temp itself, i doubt the temps are that low though, might be but ive always heard of AMD's stock fans being just the bare minimum, but hey what do you know maybe there trying to say "intel's fans are suck buy AMD" :p ive never used a stock fan though.

also it shouldnt go above 60 but dont let it go above 70. you should get orthos or prime and see how hot it gets under load.

EDIT
@freestyler, he has just 1 stick of ram ;) he is waiting to get the 2nd

Yeah the temps realy where around 12 , that was at idle though , i am running prime 95 now to see what the temps get up to
Also i cleaned the crappy thermal paste off the bottom and applied some of myown so that might make a difference
I have it set in the bios to auto poweroff at 70
And yeah only 1gb for now , once i have another GB it will run in dual channel mode

Alright, so since it's not running in dual channel like it should be, it's only going to be at 400 MHz instead of 800. It's only showing 350 MHz because the CPU is bottlenecking it. To get it to 400 MHz, you'll have to overclock the CPU.

Ok will do later , its running prime 95 now so i will try after that

Alright, so since it's not running in dual channel like it should be, it's only going to be at 400 MHz instead of 800. It's only showing 350 MHz because the CPU is bottlenecking it. To get it to 400 MHz, you'll have to overclock the CPU.

dual channel has no effect on clock speed. Dual channel only splits the work equally to both of the ram sticks, and that is how it improves performance.

The reason why some software say 400mhz and some say 800mhz is because some give you the actual clock speed, and some give you the effective clock speed. The effective clock speed is 2x the real clock speed because we are talking about ddr ram. ddr = double data rate. Meaning it transfers data 2x in a clock cycle.

As for why it is 350 instead of 400, I have no idea.

Back
Top Bottom