Just a simple switch, simply

UKinUSA

Beta member
OK, all I want to do is turn on and off a 9-volt DC switch (to control a small motor) with my computer.

I think there are at least 2 methods:
1) using a sound-activated switch attached to the line out on the soundcard. The PC goes BEEP, the switch gets flipped. But these vox switches are usually available only in kits and a pain to assemble, and are not so reliable.
2) using the RS 232 serial connector. I've found a site ( http://www.bolis.com/amillar/computers/hardware/serial-port-power-switch ) that comes close to what I want to do, but the author is not specific enough for a moron like me.

Right now, I can activate the motor with a relay, Circuit gets closed, motor goes. Can I use my rs 232 serial port to do this? I'm using windows 2000, and I think I need to run hyper terminal to control the serial port.
What pins on the rs 232 do I need to use that will open and close a circuit when running hyper terminal (or turn on & off 9v dc would be fine too).
So, what pins, what software, what commands? My basic problem, summed up.

To put it another way: I have 2 of the 9 pins on the rs 232 connected to my ohm meter, I want to click on something & the ohm meter's needle jumps, showing a connection is made, controlled by the PC. What pins, what software, what commands? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What is the motor going to do?

I'm scanning 8mm home movies with a high-res flatbed transparancy scanner.
I pulled out a sprocket wheel from a dead movie projector, and have it rotate one time (9 sprocket holes, or 1/2 second movie time), more or less, pulling the film across the scanner. Then I have this macro to run photoshop to scan it, register the holes, and save the image. Saving 9 images per scan, then the motor drags out the next 9, which very slowly builds an AVI.
A sample so far (just test footage):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sceUYKETV7w

The macro works pretty well so far, now I'm ready for full automation!

Whoa! Now that is pretty cool,How old are those films?

Thanks! My movies are from the 70s & 80s, mostly, and I have some that go back to the 30s, bought at yard sales & thrift stores...treasured memories for a buck a reel!

P.S.
& thanks for pointing me to the stepper motor control ...I've slept through a lesson or two in VB, and have Excel w/VB editor. Time to pull some hair out, if I had any!

Back
Top Bottom