My First Custom Computer Build

itzdylan24

In Runtime
so, this is my first time im doing this, please tell me wat you think i should change or something...compatability? etc...

Things I already Have:
-Seagate 160Gb Hard Drive
-Creative Extreme Fidality Sound Card
-GeForce 8500GT 512MB
-Windows XP PRO

Things I will Get:
-ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium
-a 2.6 Dual Core Processor (don't know specific name)
-Antec 900 Case
-2gb dual ram (corsair or patriot)

do i have everything i need besides psu?

ps: since i have a new hd, i had to get a operterating system(windows xp)
so does it matter wat hd i have for it to work? like how do i install everything when i get it?

Umm I wouldn't recommend that board. I used to own it and its not that great of a overclocker think my max E6600 overclock was from 2.4ghz to 3.145Ghz and Asus support is horrible. Plus there site is a joke to use when trying to get updates for the board and included software.

Go with a 680I most people go with Evga NF68-A1 680i. Its going to be in the same price range but its alot better board for the price. Also support is much better. And a real lifetime warranty. Ya Asus says there boards come with a 3 or 5 year warranty well I burnt a dimm slot why I don't use that board anymore. I emailed them about a RMA then they sent the instructions on how to set up the rma and also a price list of what it would cost me if they found this or that wrong with the board.

EVGA is a really nice brand, and Thelis can tell you of there great customer support. Asus is a good brand. Just not as good as EVGA.

Installing XP shouldn't be a problem with any drive.

The only thing I can think of, is the CD ROM/DVD Rom drive may not be set to read at bootup, in which case, just go into the BIOS (Del usually) and set in one of the main menu's to check for CD's before the hard drive.

Then place the XP CD in, and let it do its work.

I advise you make a partition during setup, making the XP installation a seperate part of the hard drive, so if you ever wished to do a clean up of Windows, you could just format the C drive for example, keeping your main data files intact.

Basically, it seperates a hard drive in to many smaller parts.

For example, if you had a 80GB hard drive, you could partition it using Windows Setup to have a C drive of 40GB, and a D drive of 40GB.

It'd look in Windows like you have 2 drives, yet its still just the one in reality.

Back
Top Bottom