2 Computers on a network and then suddenly different addresses

Actually, I can't seem to alter the numbers. If I try, it reverts back to the ones I posted earlier.
DHCP is enabled and it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Any specific thoughts / actions?

The only thing I can think of which might have something to do with it (or not) is that I had a new Motorola modem (SR5101) recently to replace my old and ailing D-Link. It was round that time that things went yucky, but I can't be sure about the definite link to this replacement and the networking problems.

I thought someone would have caught that sooner. ;) I bet hes running static ip addresses instead of using dhcp either way works.
Yep, i thought so too:)

Change from DHCP and set them manually on both computers then, static addresses will be fine. Some more info might be good if you would prefer to setup DHCP tho. If you goto start > run > type cmd > and then enter ipconfig and press enter on both computers and post the results then we can probably help more.

Computer 1 has
IP address 192.168.102.100
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.102.1

Computer 2 has
IP address 192.168.1.101
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.1.1

On the admin of the Linksys router the setup page has
Local IP address 192.168.1.1
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Local DHCP Server Enabled
Start IP address 192.168.1.100 (with the last group being editable)
Number of addresses 50 (editable)
DHCP Address range 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.149
Client Lease time 0 minutes (0 means one day)

Thanks for helping with this

I've tried disabling and then re-enabling the connection but not much more than that

Are they hooked up to the same router? Looking at the default gateways, I 'd say you aren't....

As celegorm said, the default gateways should be the same, this would normally be the routers IP address. Im guessing you only have the one router, so if you have then change computer 1s gateway.

Of course, it's on the same router. However, you're using 'static' IP address setup for this network. You need to go into the TCP/IP Properties of either your *local area connection* or *wireless network connection* and correct this. Either have the router act as the DHCP server or manually assign IP addresses to the computers on your network,either way works.

for example, 192.168.1.102 192.168.1.103 etc...

also, to share properly youmight want to make sure

client for microsoft networks

file and pritner sharing for microsoft networks

and having the same *workgroup name*

if you want join an Active directory domain, you need at least one domain controller and one DNS server online and available.

cheers,0x0161

Ok so if I look at the TCP/IP Properties of my Local Area Connection I see that it is set to obtain an IP address automatically and to obtain a DNS server address automatically. The items you listed are also correct.

So, if I'm reading these posts correctly, what you're saying is as follows:

1 Go to router and disable DHCP server.
2 Change the Default gateway on Computer 1 to something like 192.168.1.102 (Do I do this using the router interface or using the TCP/IP properties of Local Area Connection?)
3 Make sure that the Local Area Connection properties do NOT obtain an IP address or a DNS server address automatically
4 What do I do about the IP address on Computer 1? Set that to the same as the Default Gateway in step 2 above?

What have I missed here?

what you're saying is as follows:

1 Go to router and disable DHCP server.
2 Change the Default gateway on Computer 1 to something like 192.168.1.102 (Do I do this using the router interface or using the TCP/IP properties of Local Area Connection?)
3 Make sure that the Local Area Connection properties do NOT obtain an IP address or a DNS server address automatically
4 What do I do about the IP address on Computer 1? Set that to the same as the Default Gateway in step 2 above?

What have I missed here?

IM not saying log into the router and disable the DHCP part.

2.) Leave the default gateway the way it is

just go to the tcp/ip properties of the pc(s) with the OFF IP addresses to correct problem. The router has nothing to do with this because these are manually assigned in the TCP/IP properties. ;)

Well, I tried just altering the tcp/ip properties of computer 1 to 192.168.1.102 and then I couldn't access the internet anymore. So I reset it to what it was again.

Did I miss out something?

Back
Top Bottom