New Build: Comments? Suggestions?

Ð88

Fully Optimized
eVGA nForce 680i SLI w/ DualDDR2 1200, 7.1 Audio, Dual GB Lan, 1394, Dual PCI-E x16 SLI

Intel Coreâ„¢2 Duo Processor E6750 2.66GHz w/ 4MB Cache

OCZ 2GB PC2-6400 SLI-Ready Edition Dual Channel DDR2 Kit (2 x 1GB)

OCZ 700W GameXStream Power Supply w/ Quad +12V

eVGA e-GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, HDTV-Out

Cooler Master CM Stacker 830 Aluminum Chassis

Everything else I already have. What do ya think? I think it's a pretty solid setup from what I've read about the components but I do have concerns about the OCZ PSU and the memory i've chosen. I dont know if they're good choices or not.

the funny thing is that this started out really cheap (with a couple upgrades). now it's not so much anymore lol. :D

Nice build. Should be a real screamer.

Don't worry about the memory and PSU choices. OCZ uses only high quality, reliable components and their customer service is execellent.

Nice build. Should be a real screamer.

Don't worry about the memory and PSU choices. OCZ uses only high quality, reliable components and their customer service is execellent.

perfect thank you. Good to know about OCZ :)

OCZ makes decent power supplies.
Anyway, first of all, you don't need to get a 700 watt PSU. The minimum requirement for the 8800GTS is only 400 watts. In that price range, I'd get this Silverstone:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817163108&Tpk=zeus

Everything else looks pretty good. Because of the high FSB (1333 MHz) with the E6750, I'd get at least 1066 MHz RAM if you can afford it:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148069

well, i am an avid overclocker so i will probably push the limits of the RAM and bring it up to those frequencies. And as for the PSU, it ended up being cheaper than the one you posted because it comes with a mail in rebate from the website i ordered from. But yeah, probably a bit overkill but my old PSU (450W) annoyed me because it gave me power issues with a 7800GT

I can vouch for OCZ's customer service. My PowerStream 520W recently died, so I contacted them for an RMA. They told me the PowerStream line was no longer in production, but they'd be glad to send my a 600W GameXStream as a replacement. I should be receiving it soon. :D

The whole point of getting the faster RAM is for overclocking. You'll barely be able to OC the 800 MHz RAM, because it won't be able to keep up with the high FSB of the processor. That's the advantage of the E6600, it's FSB is only 1066 and it's multiplier is 9 (E6750 is 1333 FSB, 8 multiplier) so since you have a higher multiplier, overclocking isn't throttled by the FSB so much.

If you really want the OCZ, it's an okay PSU. But that Silverstone is a lot better. (higher quality, more reliable, etc etc)

The whole point of getting the faster RAM is for overclocking. You'll barely be able to OC the 800 MHz RAM, because it won't be able to keep up with the high FSB of the processor. That's the advantage of the E6600, it's FSB is only 1066 and it's multiplier is 9 (E6750 is 1333 FSB, 8 multiplier) so since you have a higher multiplier, overclocking isn't throttled by the FSB so much.

If you really want the OCZ, it's an okay PSU. But that Silverstone is a lot better. (higher quality, more reliable, etc etc)

ah yes, very true 1333MHZ would be an amazing feat to overclock that RAM to. It's not a big deal. I was put off by the additional price of faster RAM so i guess i will have to live with the bottleneck.

and thanks piGuy, im glad to hear that OCZ has good customer service. It may come in handy in the future as it did for yourself.

Well, the FSB of the CPU is quad pumped. Meaning, it's actual FSB is only 333 MHz (1333/4=333). The FSB of the RAM is double pumped. So DDR2-800 is really at 400 MHz. That's why it's DDR (Double Data Rate) RAM. DDR2-1066 is 533 MHz, which would give you basically as much room as you need to OC.

Back
Top Bottom