Wow , my idiocy knows no bounds

muz

Golden Master
Wow , well i have this new hardware ,and so this afternoon i put it all together . And fine i thought i had done anyway till a little bit later when i am installing XP and the computer just powers off unexpectadly , So anyway i turn it back on and about 15 minutes later it does the same so i sit in the bios and watch the temps and they get up to the 68 which for an amd athlon X2 4000+ is very hot indeed so anyway i realised the board shuts down at 70 so i think well why is it getting this hot . I let it cool down and come back like 15 minutes later and take the heatink off and lo and behold there is the problem .
I had left the small plastic cover on the bottom of the heatsink , the one that goes of the thermal paste to stop it going everywhere . under it all the thermal paste has melted . Kinda lucky i had the board set to shut down at 70 i suppose
Still now i have to apply some thermal paste to this thing in the morning
What probably happned was i cut my finger on something so i went to clean that up and i prolly just forgot totally

I can thing of a couple of times I did something stupid. Like working on my computer on carpet with socks on and frying my mobo.

dont feel bad.....
lol even tho thats pretty funny
i droped my old dell rig carrying it up the stairs.... still word tho hard drive just feel out of its slot

haha. But everyone does something stupid once in a while. Just a few weeks ago my friend accidentally reformatted the wrong partition -> bye bye to all of his music, movies etc.

I did that before mammikoura. I was like NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

But then I realized I gave my friend most of the stuff on that drive so no big deal.

i killed my cpu because of stuff like that, as you know. at least you didnt hurt anything, thats all that matters, putting more paste on wont hurt it, they put too much on anyways.

congrats on the new parts, did you get the asus motherboard or foxconn?

i killed my cpu because of stuff like that, as you know. at least you didnt hurt anything, thats all that matters, putting more paste on wont hurt it, they put too much on anyways.

congrats on the new parts, did you get the asus motherboard or foxconn?
Yeah i remember that . another stupid thing i did was this , a friends motherboard had broke so he wanted a replace ment and it was a AMD sempron Socket 754 motherboard and he asked me to show him a good replacement and i ended up showing him a socket 775 board and he bought it . Luckily the shop let him swap if for a 754 board

Hey well its all sorted now , Put some paste on it , It isnt arctic silver , some cheap arctic cooling paste i bought to coat a few old celeron processors . Still it does the job i suppose

ANyway i have a a question , what would be decent temps for this chip , right now i am using the stock HSF and i have it running at 25-28 ish . i havent managed a full load test yet but i will get round to it and tell you
the processor is an AMD athlon X2 4000+ 2.1ghz . Also the instructions with the thermal paste said it could take a few days for the compound to settle and offer maximum performance

Don't worry about it, everyones done something like that. I nearly blew a board once when I screwed it to the metal case because I forgot the riser screws first.

Back
Top Bottom