2 Computers on a network and then suddenly different addresses

Nig1

Solid State Member
Hope someone can help with this. I have two computers on a home network. Both can see the internet but they cannot see each other (which is a bummer as we run a business using them and need to share data and do backups etc..

Running ipconfig/all on both I get that one has the IP address of 192.168.1.101 and the other has 192.168.102.100 Both have the same subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

My question is how do I alter the IP addresses so that they can see each other again and which one do I alter?? (I'm assuming that is the reason for this.)

Nig

its probably just a firewall running on either on of the computers, even windows firewall will block out another computer

OK, so at the risk of appearing dumb, what do I do about it?

Thanks

well for example in zone alarm you click on firewall>zones, and then make sure the other computers ip is there as being "trusted". id also run the windows home network setup.

If I run the network setup wizard it does nothing at all... It won't / can't change anything.

If I look at the firewall setup in the control panel I see nothing to do what you said.

Is there simply some way of changing the IP address of one of the computers to something which will allow the other to recognize it's on the same network??

network connections>choose your card, right click>properties. go right to the bottom to internet protocol tcp/ip
then input the stuff in there

Do you even have file/printer sharing enabled? I may be wrong, but I think that's disabled by default unless you have more than one user.

Also, make sure they are both on the same workgroup. If they are on different workgroups, then they will not see eachother to share files and printers.

Quick way to check all of that, is to run the network connection wizard.

This has nothing to do with a firewall etc, the reason they cant see each other is because they are on different subnets, notice how the third block of numbers on each computer is different here, 192.168.1.101 and the other has 192.168.102.100. You need to change the third set of numbers on one of the computers. For example, change them to 192.168.1.101 and 192.168.1.102 respectively.

This can be done from the network settings, alternatively you could enable DHCP and let the computer setup them for you.

192.168.1.101 and the other has 192.168.102.100

I thought someone would have caught that sooner. ;) I bet hes running static ip addresses instead of using dhcp either way works.

Back
Top Bottom