New PC build -RECEIVED- :D

Re: New PC build -ORDERED- :D

A hiccup has formed :(

I checked the invoice this morning that I got sent, to find that even though I had ordered 2x 320GB hard drives, I'm only being sent 1.

I rang them up, and they said that I must have ordered the last one, so the 2nd order must have been counted out.

I wanted to run RAID 1, and the site doesn't have any more in stock!

Does that mean I'll have to wait for another drive to arrive before even running it? or can RAID 1 be set up after you've installed, etc?

EDIT:

Also, I want to get some fan filters, so that dust is limited within the case, as my room can be pretty dusty (I do clean it :p).
So I may buy the hard drive from a place where I can buy filters.

I'm just hoping the Antec case I've decided to get will allow fan filters to be fitted, because it doesn't come with any!

I didnt even know you could overclock a mobo.

I have the 8800GTS Superclocked version, im running it clocked at
asdf-1.jpg

And the Antec 900 is so awesome. I am in love with it.

Although for some reason my top fan does not work :[[[[

Nice :)

I'm worried you know.

First off, I need another hard drive before I can even install Windows to get RAID 1 support.
Or do I? Can I install with one, and add the other later, and setup RAID1?

2, the Sound Blaster X-FI Xtreme Music doesn't have a MIDI in, which I thought it did, but instead is an adapter for the X-FI control box (which costs loads extra).

My only other option is to refund that at the Micro Direct shop when I get the parts tommorow, and get the Creative X-FI Platinum that has an extra 3'5 bay card that has Optical outs, and MIDI IN/OUT's :(

This thing:
http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=208&product=14065&nav=0

What do you think?
Otherwise, the sound card won't be much use to me, as you need a special adapter for optical outs (Logitech 5500's will work with analog, but you won't get Dolby Digital or DTS) which I cannot find anyway, and a MIDI in adapter to USB which costs an extra £30.

It'd be cheaper to get the board above the Xtreme Music for the extra £50 asking price, but I don't know... Arrgghh, I'm annoyed :(

I would replace it with the Auzentech version, but that only has the opticals, and no MIDI support, unless you buy another card for it, again, adding increasingly more money over the Creative Platinum.

Sorry ahead of time if it has already been posted, I don't feel like reading through 5 pages, but you should go with a widescreen monitor. They don't cost a whole lot and they're worth the extra money.

Thanks :) Haven't ordered the monitor yet, but where I work, theres a nice Samsung 19inch Syncmaster I may have to grab for £150 or round abouts.

Any idea where I can get hold of the new flexijacks for the Creative X-fi if I decide to keep it, for digital sound?

I dont know much about what you are asking. I dont even know what RAID1 is. But Im getting the EMU-1616m audio card. what kind of speakers are you using and what for?

Well, the Logitech Z-5500's should be at my door mid morning tommorow, along with the X-FI Xtreme music sound card.

I plan to mostly use them for music, with the Pro-logic 2 setting, so analogue should be just fine, but if I wanted to play a DVD, I'd like the option to switch to digital.

RAID1 is when you have 2 hard drives in your computer, acting as 1, and they basically mirror each other, so if one failed (as they can), you don't lose any data, and you simply swap the broken hard drive for a new one to carry on going.

For RAID though I haven't used it myself yet - I believe you have to install the hard drives together when installing the OS. If you only installed the one drive and added the other one later you'll have to instal the OS again.

That's as far as I know anyway - I maybe wrong.

I really would recomend you get a Samsung Windscreen monitor (22 inch).
If you can afford it here is a very good (and very popular) one: http://www.microdirect.co.uk/(16668)22-Samsung-SM226BW-Widescreen-LCD-Monitor.aspx

EDIT: See other Samsung Widscreen monitors here: http://www.microdirect.co.uk/productlister.aspx?n=6,39&n=525

Back
Top Bottom