LOW FPS in games and computer crashes during memtest86

irishsoldier1

Solid State Member
Hello. I got back to school last week to find my computer on the fritz. I booted up Guild Wars and after 10 seconds at the startup menu frames drop to 5-10 fps. No processes were running in the backround but CPU usage spike badly. I also noticed that my graphics card was running at 275mhz rather than 460mhz the graphics ram was also running low at 648mhz instead of 1.2. All of my games are doing this. I thought, **** it might eb windows, but to my surprise my comp crashed during memtest 86. Always crashes between 50 and 65 seconds. Did other stress tests on ram to find nothing. I also swapped both sticks and tried a different channel. Gaming and memtest seem to be the only sticklers. I ordered a new PSU this week seeing that my current one is three years old. Here are my specs. Intel Core 2 6600
BFG 7800 gtx 256mb
2gb G. Skill DDR 2 ram.
Ultra 500w PSU (which has been in my system since 2005)
MSI mobo

None of my parts are overclocked and I have been running this configuration for 3 months with no hiccups. Is there any one with any ideas.

trying setting your right graphics card settings in ati tool ,also make sure the clocks you said above are your 3d clocks not just your desktop clocks cause i belive some cards dont go at full speed till a 3d application is started

Well Gaming uses your ram and memtest tests your ram. So if its crashing only in memtest and gaming it would suggest the rams bad.

When you say swapped sticks what do you mean? Tried each stick by itself? Did you run a memtest on both sticks this way one at a time. If they crashed in both most likely your ram is bad.

Hows your temps boot up your bios and double check them. Maybe a fan stopped working and its causing your PC to overheat during load.

Drain you is correct that some cards have different 2d and 3d clock settings. The 648 in the second is fine it actually doubles so its really 1296. As for the core it may just be the 2d setting for the core to keep the temps down.

Also i'm wondering if maybe something got reset in your bios back to defaults. Have you checked the ram timings and voltage. If for some reason the bios went back to a default IE 1.8V 5,5,5,15 that could be causing your memory errors if your ram was designed to run at different timings and voltages.

Check all that and report back.

Startup temps are normal. However, its not crashing during gaming. The only thing that is happening is very low FPS. Like 5-10 fps, and CPU usage spikes as well. It seem the cpu usage is compensating for the underclock of the card. I tested each stick bout two days ago and in different slots. Ive heard on other forums that memtest86 crashes could also be do to PSU or mobo. All my temps while gaming are fine as well. My current PSU is goin on three years old. 500w 25amps on the 12v rail. I have also tested the ram with the memtest that u can d'load and run in windows. No errors in that. I have also stressed tested them through nvidia's stress tester and nothing.

Back
Top Bottom