Small Business - How to Add Some Wireless PCs? Please help!!!

karling07

Daemon Poster
Hi everyone!

Ive got two small businesses, each in the same building separated by one wall. We have a cabinet in one company that holds ALL of our internet related things. Here is its current setup:

Comcast Cable Modem --> Linksys Cable Router (not Wireless) BEFSR41 w/ 4 Port Switch --> 3com Baseline Switch 3C16477 (which basically justs turns the router connection into approx. 10 more connections). From there, 10 computers receive internet through ethernet cords.

In the OTHER company has its own DSL but we would like to just hook it up wirelessly to the other router at the other company and cancel our DSL subscription. So my question is, what would be the BEST way to create a network where some computers are able to be wireless? I only plan on having 3 computers in the OTHER company being wireless and also adding 3 new computers in our original company (which I would like to be wireless so they can be moved around on portable desks). So 6 total wireless computers and 10 non-wireless, which are already all setup. All we need them for are emails and very light browser surfing

So should I just replace the current linksys router with a wireless linksys router and buy 6 new USB wireless adapters?

We've never had ANY strain at all in the speed of the internet while splitting among the 10 computers, so I can't imagine that 6 more would change this too much

I really appreciate any help here, thanks!

I don't see why it wouldn't work, other than the fact that there are power cords that need to be connected somewhere for a PC to stay powered up, so you can't really move them too far on your portable desks since there isn't yet a wireless power adapter... It won't slow it down unless you are doing something such as downloading a big file on one or several PCs.

Ok thanks JesusFrk! I'll just buy a regular Linksys Wireless Router w/ Speedboost and USB adapters :)

Thanks again!

I see two ways you can do what you want.

1) Replace the current router with a wireless one.

2) Buy a wireless router. Set up it's wireless with security and disable DCHP (The first router will be handling the DCHP part). THen hook up a normal cable from any switch (one of the ones left on the main router, or from the secondary switch).

Back
Top Bottom