Great!! Just great!

CompMan

Fully Optimized
Well, I was doing my usual on the computer playing CS:S, aim, on here, blah blah blah. Then I turn to my right to turn on my SERVER (just an extra computer that I put my files on), the specs are AMD Athlon XP 3000+, ASUS A7n8x-Deluxe, Corsair XMS DDR400, ATI Radeon X800 256mb, ZALMAN fan, some 300W powersupply, and a 160gig Western Digital SATA drive. Not bad for a computer that friends use when they come over, handles Counter Strike source on max.

Well my problem is: When I turn on the computer it boots past the BIOS fine, even get that little BEEP code telling me everything is A OK!!, then the Windows XP logo comes up and the bar goes across about 2 and a half times and the computer just restarts. hmm weird? So i go into the BIOS and everything seems find, I use the computer everyday and nothing has been changed. But then I'm snooping around in the BIOS and it locks up. So now I know its not XP being corrupted or something. But when I'm in the BIOS and it locks up I can still do an CtrL, ALT, Delete and it restarts (of course ctrl, alt, dlt, works!!)

So I'm in a pickle can you guys come to the rescue again!!

I tried different memory, forgot to add that in also.

and I can't get into XP without it restarting, also tried safe mode.

just a shot in the dark, but is there a certain amount of time before it restarts, say the PC is on for about 20 seconds and it restarts... I'd try changing the PSU out and resetting the BIOS, hmm, idk what else since nothing was changed as you said.

Could be a number of things. I don't think overheating would cause it if it locks up in the BIOS, but you never know. So try checking the temps.

I am thinking that it is just overheating somehow. Can you check system temps in BIOS? Also, the PSU might be on its way out as well, but I somehow doubt that.

Something that may help is to get all of the dust out of the inside of the computer.

All it is dust free, and the temps are fine 41.

I don't have an extra PSU to test it with. But in about two mintues its going to be in pieces its pissing me off.

Possibly some important system files got corrupted somehow. If you can, I would take the HD out of the computer and put it in another one so you can back up the files, then try a repair or reformat if necessary.

I tried but it just keeps restarting. I'll try again.

Do you think it is a power supply issue?? cause I'll buy another one.

Back
Top Bottom