2 different video cards in SLI

Thats the difference between SLI/Crossfire. SLI must have 2 of the same card type to work. Again in Vista it seems to be hit and miss currently as far as it working. So some games it may work for some it may not.

Now with crossfire you can mix and match cards as long as the primary card has the spec's to handle the second card. IE X1950 in the main PCI-E slot then a X1650 in the second slot would work. Plus some of the compatibility issues are not there.

cards work in lie as long as they have the same core
other wise nope

A 8800GTS 640mb and a 8800GTS 320MB wont work in sli together and they have the same core. Even when the 8800GTS 640mb is flashed with a 8800GTS 320mb bios.

allenn812 -
You can run the two cards you specified in SLI.

From the Nvidia SLI Zone FAQ:
Can I mix and match graphics cards with different sizes of memory?
While it is not recommended, NVIDIA does offer this flexibility using Coolbits. When purchasing a second graphics card, you should try to match the memory size so that you are ensured full value and performance from your purchase. For example, if your first card is a GeForce 6600 GT with 128MB of memory, you should purchase a second GeForce 6600 GT with 128MB of memory. However, using Coolbits (value set to 18), you can force both of the cards to use the lower of the two memory sizes and operate together in SLI mode. When dissimilar memory sizes are enabled to work together using Coolbits, the effective memory size for each card becomes the smaller of the two memory sizes.

Can I mix and match graphics cards?
In order to provide optimal symmetric scaling, SLI technology requires the NVIDIA GPUs to match. For example, a GeForce 7800 GTX must be paired with another GeForce 7800 GTX. Likewise, a GeForce 6600 GT must be paired with another GeForce 6600 GT. However, using the latest Release 80 or later graphics drivers, NVIDIA GPUs sold by different manufacturers can be used together in an SLI configuration. For example, a GeForce 7800 GT from vendor ABC can be matched with a GeForce 7800 GT from vendor XYZ.

Thanks to everyone for there comments. I havent had any problems running my 6600GTs in SLI on XPpro and i've had them fo close to 2 years. If i were to upgrade (and since its not possible to use to DIFFERENT cards in SLI) i would just get 1 more powerfule card, and then maybe down the line when prices decrease further mathc it with a second (but probably not).

Thanks.

No, you didn't. The cards have to have the same core. The 7300GS uses a G72 core, the 7600GT uses a G73 core. It's impossible to SLI those cards. You might have had both of them in the same computer, but they were not in SLI mode.

EDIT: That's what I thought..

so if the cards have the same core then you can run them in sli? e.g could you run an 8800 with a 8600?

EDIT: sorry should read all of the posts before asking a question. just saw my answer befrore

If you SLI them, it will not work, because the GPUs does not match. You'll have still two cards running, but it won't work together. It will process graphics individually.

A 8800GTS 640mb and a 8800GTS 320MB wont work in sli together and they have the same core. Even when the 8800GTS 640mb is flashed with a 8800GTS 320mb bios.

Two happenings will occur: It will either stick to 640MB, or you'll end up with a dead card.

Back
Top Bottom